PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a turbine

Tara
11th Mar 2004, 01:50 pm
I need some help. I am trying to draw a sketch of a turbine engine.
It is just a series of cylinders and truncated cones.. but Im having a very hard time.

If I use solids I cannot make the cones truncated, only true cones with a point on the end. If I use 3D surfaces cones, I can truncate them however am having problems when trying to snap the adjoining cyclinder to the cone end.

Please dont laugh, Im sure that most of you could do this entire sketch in 5 mins with your eyes closed.. hahahhaa

I need to get this done fairly quickly and its going to give me a stroke.

Suggestions? Assistance?

fuccaro
11th Mar 2004, 03:02 pm
I would draw the half of the axial section first as a closed polyline. Construct the solid by revolving this shape.

Flores
11th Mar 2004, 03:44 pm
Another option to make a truncated cone is to draw a circle and extrude it, and at the prompt "Specify angle of taper for extrusion <0>" enter an angle.

Flores

f700es
11th Mar 2004, 03:53 pm
I would draw the half of the axial section first as a closed polyline. Construct the solid by revolving this shape.

I concur, seems like the best and easiest way to do it.

Tara
11th Mar 2004, 08:19 pm
Im not sure how to do that. Im relatively new to 3d.
I was looking for a good polyline tutorial but cant find one.
I am familiar with Polylines but this drawing has got me flustered now and I cant seem to see past it
One of those ones that I thought it would be easy until I actually sat down to do it.. hahahhaha

Mr T
11th Mar 2004, 09:48 pm
Im not sure how to do that. Im relatively new to 3d.
I was looking for a good polyline tutorial but cant find one.
I am familiar with Polylines but this drawing has got me flustered now and I cant seem to see past it
One of those ones that I thought it would be easy until I actually sat down to do it.. hahahhaha

SLICE is another way of reducing a solid. But the basic booleans UINION SUBTRACT and INTERSECT would suffice. As soon as you start manipulating you will have to get over the UCS learning barrier.

Drawing a turbine blade in solids is hard but it's easier with an EDGSURF, four diff. edges touching.

Good luck

Nick

Tara
11th Mar 2004, 10:12 pm
I dont have to draw the blade.. it is a simple rendering of the outside surfaces only.. basically.. 2 cones and 4 cylinders. I dont understand why I am having so much trouble with this.
Sorry if I'm whining.. just getting frustrated. I generally do architectural and electrical drawings.. this is something totally new that I seem to have gotten over my head with.

gcp310
11th Mar 2004, 10:26 pm
Steer away from surface modeling...... (Mr T may argue)

Do you have a rough image you can post?? someone here may be able to quickly help you out of a jam if its only what you say it is??

G

Tara
11th Mar 2004, 10:53 pm
I have a .pdf of the 2d version......

http://www.total-e-tech.com/turbine.pdf

If anyone is willing to help me out.. please let me know and I will get you the dimensions..

much appreciation in advance.

gcp310
11th Mar 2004, 11:10 pm
Check your PM

G

f700es
12th Mar 2004, 12:46 am
I have a .pdf of the 2d version......

http://www.total-e-tech.com/turbine.pdf

If anyone is willing to help me out.. please let me know and I will get you the dimensions..

much appreciation in advance.

Hey, no problem there. Psst...you don't have access to Corel Draw or Illustrator do you? You can open a .pdf in them and export a .dwg file ;)

http://mars.walagata.com/w/f700es/turbine.jpg

Draw your half-profile with a closed polyline and then revolve it.

http://mars.walagata.com/w/f700es/turbine-2.jpg

Sure I used the .pdf as a base but you don't have to.
You can make it this simple or really jazz it up :)

Tara
12th Mar 2004, 12:53 am
you guys are amazing....

I created the .pdf by printing the .dwg to pdf
didnt know you could do the reverse from those programs though.. thanks for the tip.

gcp310
12th Mar 2004, 02:00 am
I didnt think to use corel to change the PDF to a DWG.

Great Tip,f7, must remeber that for next time

f700es
12th Mar 2004, 03:06 am
I didnt think to use corel to change the PDF to a DWG.

Great Tip,f7, must remeber that for next time

Thanks but it can work but not as good a solution as say Illustrator. It is hit or miss alot of the time, really more miss than hit but it has worked a few times. I just use Illistrator and forget it.

Mr T
12th Mar 2004, 09:38 am
Steer away from surface modeling...... (Mr T may argue)

Do you have a rough image you can post?? someone here may be able to quickly help you out of a jam if its only what you say it is??

G

The same profile can be used to create a TRUE Hollow shape with REVSURF.

Surfaces are best for complicated curves eg a car body, a bed sheet, a curtain flowing in the wind and a flag flapping in the wind.

Nick

gcp310
12th Mar 2004, 10:21 am
Correction, NURBS is best for for complicated curves eg a car body, a bed sheet, a curtain flowing in the wind and a flag flapping in the wind.
:wink:

Unfortunately Autocad does not support NURBS.

G