PDA

View Full Version : Layout too big, viewport too small

jojoma
8th Jun 2007, 12:20 am
Hello, I've been having several problems with my layout, and have come to a point where I hope someone can help. I am using ACAD 2006. I created a new drawing using the wizard using engineering units, and setting my area as 50 feet by 50 feet, since these are approx. the dimensions of my drawing. I created a new layout using the layout wizard, configuring the plotter for Adobe PDF, paper size letter (11 inches by 8.5"), ISO A3 title block, and single viewport (with the viewport dropdown menu at "scaled to fit"). When it asks me to select the location of the viewport configuration, I've tried taking the default location (hit enter) and I've tried picking opposite corners on the tab "layout 1" in paperspace. Both times, when it's all done, I end up looking at the original viewport in layout 1, and then zoom out to see that my ISO A3 layout is about 20 times too big, positioned to the top right hand side of my viewport. Previously I dealt with this by resizing my viewport, but then any text I tried to insert (dimensions, etc.) were so tiny I couldn't read them, and I had trouble resizing the text. Any suggestions would be very gratefully received! Cheers

CHANDRA
8th Jun 2007, 01:22 pm
hi
Better to change value from dimension style- modefy-fit-use overall scale value it will increase.

Alan Cullen
8th Jun 2007, 01:51 pm
I think you have to consider your text size to suit your plot scale before you go any further.........

Also...I'm not sure I follow your problem......but I suspect you are in paperspace.....therefore set your paperspace viewport scale to suit your plot scale........then plot at 1:1.......but your text has to be sized to suit your plot scale.......

get back if you are still having problems.....:)

jojoma
8th Jun 2007, 05:11 pm
Thanks for the responses. I've gotten around the layout issue by simply using a layout from a template rather than building a new one. However I'm still having issues with plotting. I should probably start a new thread for this, but all I'd like to do is convert my two layouts to either pdf or bmp. Printing to pdf works fine for my top view, which is very simple. When I print my 3d view, it tries to make it 50 Mb and my computer runs out of virtual memory. When I export to bmp, I lose most of my title block (ISO A3) and the text contained within, as if I had them hidden. Any ideas?

Cad64
10th Jun 2007, 05:38 pm
:unsure: I assume this has to do with your other post? See here for possible solutions: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14101.

I printed your 3D layout to pdf with no problems, and my file size was only 2.90 MB. I don't understand why yours is so large?

jojoma
11th Jun 2007, 06:45 am
What paper settings did you use when printing out? I don't understand why mine was so big. Also, are you able to render without losing the text? Sorry for the multiple postings but I'm getting desperate!

Cad64
11th Jun 2007, 01:30 pm
I used your settings, whatever they were in the plot dialog. Here's a jpg version of the pdf I created. My pen settings are obviously different from yours, so some of the text is very bold, but everything prints.

riga
11th Jun 2007, 02:37 pm
I used your settings, whatever they were in the plot dialog. Here's a jpg version of the pdf I created. My pen settings are obviously different from yours, so some of the text is very bold, but everything prints.

There are some text missing from the original layout that I downloaded. Or am I wrong?

Cad64
11th Jun 2007, 02:41 pm
:huh: What's missing?

Edit: Oh ya, there is text and leaders. Those are the same color as the background so they didn't print out. I changed the color of those and they print just fine.

jojoma
11th Jun 2007, 04:50 pm
I used a different software to create my pdf, and it looks as though my acrobat professional was misbehaving, as this worked fine. Thanks for helping me isolate that problem! :) I'd still love to hear any ideas anybody has about exporting to bitmap when I'm using Gouraud shading (or having rendered) without losing my title block and text...