PDA

View Full Version : Not really AutoCad

DODGE
26th Jun 2007, 11:03 am
Hi Guys
Sorry to be asking a none AutoCad related question but this is really
peeing me off.:x
I bought a Seagate Freeagent go 80Gig USB2.0 hard drive the other day. Sort of a king size USB Stick.
Anyway it's supposed to be a plug and play. Well I did my bit with the plugging but it ain't playing.
Has anybody had this problem? The only software and drivers it came with were, of course on the unit it self which the computer doesn't recognise. So it just won't work. I took it back to the shop and they plugged it into one of there machines running XP Pro, and of course no problems, it fired up perfect, also on a machine running vista.
I went to Seagate web site to try and get some info and or drivers, but it's no help. I'm running Win XP Pro and I also tried it on our other machine at home, also running win XP Pro but it's no good in any of them. I thought was a great idea to bring work back and forth to the office, but it's not going to plan. Have any of our AutoCad buddies out there got one of these units and can suggest something I can do to get her running?
The past 3 weeks I have been jinxed with techno stuff. Two weeks ago I bought a GPS navigation unit that was faulty and had to be exchanged. Then last week I bought my son an Xbox 360 and that was faulty and had to be exchanged for another, which also was faulty ( Whats the chances of that ) When I took that one back the guy decided to tell me that they had had a faulty shipment and had had 7 returned in 1 week.:twisted: now he's gotta wait another week. Bloody tech stuff I'm going back to 2 tins and a piece of string.
Ok got all that off my chest, so any help with the Seagate Ta:cry:
Dodge doing his nut.

James
26th Jun 2007, 11:14 am
hi

there could be a number of reasons for the unit not to work on your pc, firstly do you have any other USB devices you can plug in the pc to see if they work? as the usb plug & play service may not be running or your USB drivers for the pc are missing/corrupt.

can you goto control panel>system> the hardware tab>device manager

do you have any ! marks?

Norts
26th Jun 2007, 11:15 am
don't know if it is much help or not, but I found these links at Seagate:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Installation_Assistance&vgnextoid=dce3b27d0434e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

DODGE
26th Jun 2007, 11:57 am
Hi Guys
I am able to plug in normal USB sticks and they fire up fine just not this larger USB Drive. I have also had a look at Seagate site but as I'm not sure what I am doing I havn't downloaded anything to install.
Thanks for the help so far.
Dodge

Norts
26th Jun 2007, 12:03 pm
Hi Guys
I am able to plug in normal USB sticks and they fire up fine just not this larger USB Drive. I have also had a look at Seagate site but as I'm not sure what I am doing I havn't downloaded anything to install.
Thanks for the help so far.
Dodge

In that case, I suggest you look at the link below, see if your device is listed on the page that opens, and take things from there:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=fa_desktop&vgnextoid=bcd8d59424b8e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Alan Cullen
26th Jun 2007, 12:38 pm
DODGE.....just a bad day mate......should have stayed in bed.....now you know things happen in threes.....don't try to fix it yet......go out and by a quickpick.....that will loose....that will be the three.....then carry on....every thing will suddenly work......."Murphy's Law" :lol: :lol:

hazardman
26th Jun 2007, 01:49 pm
also, what usb port are you plugin this into?..directly off the the tower or an unpowered hub?..

afaik these drives use parasitic, meaning they draw power right off the USB bus...if there's not enough juice then no go which is usually the case on hubs...

so, hub or tower?..and if tower, do any other USB devices work in those ports?..

zars
26th Jun 2007, 02:36 pm
So you plug the hd into your usb port and nothing happens??? or the window that notifies you that something has been plugged does appear but you can't see the hd??? if it's the second choice it could be because the hd is new so it's not supposed to have a partition and you have to create it.

if that's the case then go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> storage and then disk management, there you'll see if your hd was detected in order to create its partition.

SLW210
26th Jun 2007, 04:01 pm
Does your drive have 2 USB connectors?

ReMark
26th Jun 2007, 05:29 pm
Not enough juice man.

SLW210
26th Jun 2007, 06:08 pm
Not enough juice man.

That is why you have two USB cables, on is for power only and the other is for Power/Data. They both need to be connected to recieve enough power.

DODGE
26th Jun 2007, 10:24 pm
Yep guys done all of the above.
Both cables plugged in and I have USB2
Nothing shows up at all. I have tried it on both computers that are approx 8 months old running win xp pro.
I wouldn't mind if the computer even said something like, Device not recognised etc. But nothing at all when you plug in both cables. I have even rebooted with cables plugged in to try and get the computer to recognise them, no good.
It looks like I'm left with an 80g hard drive I can't use unless somebody has any other suggestions.
Dodge.

SLW210
26th Jun 2007, 11:05 pm
Something just doesn't sound right. Did you check the trouble shooting guide?

SLW210
26th Jun 2007, 11:22 pm
Try this....

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=External_Drive_Troubleshooter_-_Windows_2000_XP_-_Operating_System_Detection_Issue&vgnextoid=1b734a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

DODGE
27th Jun 2007, 12:38 am
Thanks SLW210
Thats the exact site I was at yesterday, got it printed off in front of me as I type, still no good.
D

SLW210
28th Jun 2007, 02:43 am
Thanks SLW210
Thats the exact site I was at yesterday, got it printed off in front of me as I type, still no good.
D
I f this ain't the darndest thing. :?

I have a 6Gig Seagate pocket drive and it works like a champ. I would say take yours back and try another. That one just doesn't like you.:D

slimjramirez
29th Jun 2007, 02:32 pm
Not enough juice man.

A very real possibility, Dodge. A buddy of mine had a similar external drive (80gigs and what-not) that he would plug in via USB2.0; it was hit or miss, depending on the room-temperature, if it would pick up the drive or not, but even when it did, it was extremely weak.

They make a USB cable that splits, ....think of a "Y" cable here; it plugs into your external drive with one USB, splits into two USB plugs on the opposite side of the chord, and both of those plug into your machine; more juice, better signal.

Something I've noticed with the machine I work at right now; if I'm logged on, then plug in my USB (512mb, just a basic little flash drive) it won't recognize it at all; but if I'm not logged on, plug it in, then log on, it will recognize it. I don't quite know why it works that way, but it may be what you could try. Plug in the drive, then log-on/turn on your comp. If you turn-on/restart entirely though, I think there'd be a chance that the boot-up sequence may be affected (When it gives that "Another device has been found. Please remove disk and press any button to proceed" such as if you boot up with a floppy disk in..............if your machine even still has a floppy drive on it, lol)

Gar
29th Jun 2007, 09:56 pm
Have you given the 'puter a good swift kick yet or like i have said before, just get a really big hammer and put it next to the computer? intimidation can get things done sometimes... Ha!

Please let us know if you find an answer, 'cause i have a 2gb flash drive here that will just not show up on my 'puter, while it works fine on everyone else in the general area of the office...

Alan Cullen
30th Jun 2007, 04:01 am
I don't know if this is the same thing or not......but 2 of our software applications use USB dongles........I have found that I couldn't just plug a dongle into any USB port......the computer wouldn't recognise it......

We had to configure specific USB ports to specific dongles and make sure that dongle went into that USB port....

You may find you have to do the same.....

DODGE
30th Jun 2007, 08:18 am
Thanks everyone.
No I haven't got the problem sorted. I did get an answer from my email I sent to the Seagate help site. Not much good it was broken english from some from somebody in down town Bejing that did told me nutting that I already hadn't done. Allem I use to use a Dongle on another cad program I use to use, and never had a drama with that.
I have just bought a 4gb USB stick and plugged it and it works fine without any software. I will hang onto the Seagate 80gb untill I upgrade my computer next year. If it still doesn't work then it will be seeing the inside of somebodys rectum from Seagate.
Avagoodweekendyaall and thanks for all the help.
Dodge.

SLW210
1st Jul 2007, 01:02 am
I would say you are having a conflict somewhere, but why wouldn't Seagate be able to figure this out? I would be all over Seagate like white on rice. My 6Gig is more than I will ever need. Of course, I said that way back when I bought a computer with an "INCREDIBLY" humongus 400Meg hard drive.