Extruding along a 3d Spline 2006

devoluter

Hi im using AutoCad2006 and im stuck. i have drawn a 3d staircase and am at the point where i need to put the handrail in.

So how do you extrude a simple circle along a path - the path is a 3d spline.

i get the error -

Cannot extrude along 3D spline path.

Cannot extrude along this path.

Is there a workaround for this?

You may get this error if your path has low radius bends. Are you sure everything is aligned correctly in 3D? Do a test with a fairly straight spline and see if that works.

one thing i would like to point out is: the tangent to the spline at the starting point of the curve should be perpendicular to the circle diameter. then give the extrude command. or make a line in the xy plane. from the end of the line try to make the spline. keep the circle at the end of the line. rotate the circle in 3d so that the circle is perpendicular to the line. now extrude using the spline as a path.

other examples of railings are available in this forum. do a search in the forum.

I have much better luck extruding along a 3d polyline. Can you retrace the spline with a 3d polyline? if you use enough points along the original spline and edit the 3d poly to smooth it a bit, you should be able to extrude a circle along it no problem.

one thing i would like to point out is: the tangent to the spline at the starting point of the curve should be perpendicular to the circle diameter. then give the extrude command. or make a line in the xy plane. from the end of the line try to make the spline. keep the circle at the end of the line. rotate the circle in 3d so that the circle is perpendicular to the line. now extrude using the spline as a path.

other examples of railings are available in this forum. do a search in the forum.

If anyone understands this they're a better man than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

Originally Posted by shinymathew viewpost.gif

I think the main point of this is that your circle needs to be perpendicular the the path or you will end up with an elliptical railing cross section.

Thats exactly what it means

Clarify its not simply tangent, its perpendicular to the tangent in all planes/directions along the path

More accurate term would be "normal"

Ok, enough of the Calculus 3 lesson

sorry for creating the confusion. probably it do not extrude along a 3d spline when the spline is not lying in a single plane. that is all the points of the curve should be in a single plane only. straight length is not needed since the object to be extruded aligns automatically.

this problem must be applicable for 3dpoly also. it will extrude when it is made of straight lines. but after pediting to spline it do not extrude.

• 2 years later...