PDA

View Full Version : Drawing not Showing

Tin
27th Jul 2007, 06:06 am
hi, ive been given a lot of drawings for this shopping mall, so i can ammend them, the problem is when i open them in autocad 2007 only afew bits and bobs show up(i.e. afew light fittings), the drawing was created in 2003 and ive turned on every layer to try and get the full drawing up, does any1 hav any idea of how i can do this?

Tin

Cad64
27th Jul 2007, 06:14 am
Have you checked your Xref Manager? It sounds like whoever gave you these drawings, failed to include the xrefs.

Tin
27th Jul 2007, 06:19 am
Have you checked your Xref Manager? It sounds like whoever gave you these drawings, failed to include the xrefs.
how do i check? when i open the whole file to choose which drawing i want i can see the whole drawing on the screen, its only when i open it only bits & bobs show up. When i open the file, its only the drawings on the disk, no other files, 1 file for 1 drawing, is that right?

Cad64
27th Jul 2007, 06:31 am
Open the drawing and then type XREF at the command line. This will open your Xref Manager which will show you all of the files that are being referenced into the drawing.

From your last reply, I'm assuming that you are opening these drawings from a cd? If that's the case then I would suggest copying the files to your hard drive and then repath the xrefs in order for them to show up in the drawing.

Tin
27th Jul 2007, 07:04 am
right ive typed in xref and it says that the drawing is open but the next two files (ALCW61 & ALWW61) are both missing or as the computer is saying 'not found' could this be the problem?

Im openin the drawings frommy hard drive, tried from cd already

dbroada
27th Jul 2007, 09:46 am
if they are not showing in XREF manager there are 2 probable causes.

1. You have not been supplied with the drawings you need. Check your CD for them.

2. erased as new information renders it irrelevant.

In other words, if one is G:\drawigns\xref\drawing1.dwg you will have to create that folder and copy drawing1.dwg there.

profcad
27th Jul 2007, 01:42 pm
Search the CD's for the files. If you find them, copy them along with the host drawing to a folder on your harddrive. Then open the host drawing. The XREF's should appear.

If you don't find them on the CD, contact the person that gave you the drawings and ask for them.

dbroada
27th Jul 2007, 02:00 pm
that's an improvement over the old way. I was about to post an "are you sure" but thought I would check first. Glad I did. o:)

O Snap!
27th Jul 2007, 03:47 pm
Search the CD's for the files. If you find them, copy them along with the host drawing to a folder on your harddrive. Then open the host drawing. The XREF's should appear.

If you don't find them on the CD, contact the person that gave you the drawings and ask for them.

Assuming the required xref files are there on your hd, it's possible the saved path(s) in your xref manager is looking for them elsewhere (possibly on another network drive). You'll need to either redirect the path(s) and/or reload the xrefs. And don't forget to click "Save Path".