Oracle Database and CAD drawing integration

Guest paulblackwell

Guest paulblackwell

Hello,

I'm not too sure where this question sits in the forum?

I need to retreive data from an Oracle database and display it on a AutoCAD drawing. For example, a floor plan with desk references needs to display the persons name sitting at the desk, read from the database.

I don't necessarily need the drawing updatated real time, an overnight process would be fine.

It would be a great help if someone could point me in the right direction, software packages, programming languages, anything?

Thanks in adavnce,

Paul

When using AutoCAD 2k I played with the DBCONNECT command. I managed to link the records stored in a DBF file to lines placed in a drawing. AutoCAD can label your desks with names stored in a database. You "just" need to connect the drawing to the Oracle file, create the links between the AutoCAD entities and the records and to define a label template.

I used this only once for testing

hi fuccaro, nice to see you back, even if only for a brief visit.

Paul,

it's possible and not too difficult. I would recommend using VBA for this. It is possible also in Lisp but much more difficult.

I've never used Oracle but I use an MS Access database on a daily basis. I use VBA to connect to the database, query it with SQL and retrieve data which is automatically inserted into the drawing, using block attributes.

Personally I found the dbconnect feature of autocad too limiting and avoided it altogether.

the biggest problem I found was getting the connection string correct, once that was done the rest was relatively easy.

• 7 years later...

Hello,

I am also interested in this topic.

I know to use db connect for exporting from database to CAD, but I would like to work in two ways, also when I change something on .dwg to see changes in my oracle database. I also want to know how can I with double click (or something similar) on my blocks import table so I can see it. It would be helpfull if someone can share with me knowlage about this.

Best regards,

Milan