3D dynamic blocks, are they possible?

Tejpaul007

In the 2006's help file it says that dynamic properties will not work for 3D objects. Not sure about the next versions. But you may try a walk around. If you draw say a cylinder and copy it in top of itself, just move the copy along of the axis and it will look like the cylinder changes the height.

No 3D dynamic blocks in 2008 too as far as I know, or at least that's what I've heard.

I've never tried when I had the chance to play with the new version of Autocad

The dynamic block editor only works in 2D. You can only apply actions to objects that lie in the X,Y plane. In 2008, you have the ability to orbit around your 3D model while inside the editor, but you cannot rotate your UCS to apply actions on the Z axis. In fact, the UCS command cannot even be invoked inside the editor.

We will have to wait and see what 2009 has to offer. :unsure:

We will have to wait and see what 2009 has to offer. :unsure:

Rumors on the new version of autocad don't mention such an improuvement of dynamic blocks.

It will be a strongly modified interface with some new features like a recorder (for macros I guess), a new 3D navigation tool, new dwfx format, some changes in layers manager and other few things.

Rumors can be wrong, but that's what I've read around

• 3 years later...

If you are drawing objects that need to be modified try using the 3Dface command. You can make a 3D dynamic block with all functions as in 2D.

I made a 3D ladder and with the rungs as extruded circles and static shapes as extruded as well. The side bars are 3D faces and I was able to stretch the objects. The result is a full functioning Dynamic 3D block!

Gennaro :D