Convert Visio to CAD

Guest kbk

I am currently using AutoCAD 2004, and if you go under the Insert Pull down menu and go to OLE Object... Microsoft Visio is one of the selections that can be pulled into AutoCAD.

Also depending on the version of Visio being used, it is possible to save Visio files to a dwg format. If that is an option.

Hope this helps. 8)

Scott

• 5 years later...

I have AutoCad LT 2010 -- I have a .vss file (visio stencil?) that I need to convert/import... I don't see any way to do so. I do not have Visio software. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Is there an easy way to convert a Visio drawing to a .dwg?

I have Visio 2003, and as "sab423" stated, you can open the file in Visio and do a save as to an AutoCad Drawing. It's an option in the pulldown in save as. Just scroll down. It works most of the time for me, but there have been instances where the text comes out scrambled, or other parts of the drawing is missing.

I would like to hear someone add to this also.

Glenn

2009LT

Well, here's the problem. As stated, I do not have Visio software. Someone has sent me a Visio stencil (.vss) file, and I am trying to either import, open, or convert to dwg or dxf. Or even see it at all, for that matter. Visio viewer won't deal with it.

Well, here's the problem. As stated, I do not have Visio software. Someone has sent me a Visio stencil (.vss) file, and I am trying to either import, open, or convert to dwg or dxf. Or even see it at all, for that matter. Visio viewer won't deal with it.

I was responding to the OP. I just tried to open a Visio file in Cad, DWG TrueView, Paint, Volo View, and no luck. These programs do not recognize the file type. Could the person that sent you the file have Visio, and they could do a save as, and resend it to you? They do not need Cad. Hopefully somebody else will weigh in soon.

I am currently downloading and installing a trial version of Visio. I hope it will let me "save as" so I can get this over with and get my drawing done!

I have a request in to the sender to do the "save as dwg" as well... it's a race to see who gets there first.

I am currently downloading and installing a trial version of Visio. I hope it will let me "save as" so I can get this over with and get my drawing done!

I have a request in to the sender to do the "save as dwg" as well... it's a race to see who gets there first.

As it is around here, I'm thinking the trial version will happen sooner. Good luck.

As it is around here, I'm thinking the trial version will happen sooner. Good luck.

You are correct. Turns out the visio drawings were cartoonish "icons" that do me no good anyway.

Back (literally) to the drawing board!

Thanks for the discussion.

You are correct. Turns out the visio drawings were cartoonish "icons" that do me no good anyway.

Back (literally) to the drawing board!

Thanks for the discussion.

You have to have the Visio software all loaded up and going to even see their stuff. If done on a foreign computer, they have some sort of DXFOUT software option. The sender may have just picked the wrong file type to ship to you.

Wm.