PDA

View Full Version : Solview

kshotton45
4th Jan 2008, 09:16 am
I'm new to modelling. I am using Acad 2008. When I extract a drawing using Solview, the drawing configuration is 3rd angle. Is there a setting I can alter to make this 1st angle.

JD Mather
4th Jan 2008, 02:16 pm
That's a good question. Not that I am aware of in vanilla AutoCAD. In MDT, Inventor, SolidWorks and others there is a simple format switch.
In AutoCAD I suspect the best you can do is move the viewports after creation.

Secretagdan
4th Jan 2008, 02:31 pm
All that you need to do, is in model space, set you ucs to the view you want. Then use you solview command.

kshotton45
4th Jan 2008, 03:44 pm
All that you need to do, is in model space, set you ucs to the view you want. Then use you solview command.
Hi, if i do this, then it just returns a 3rd angle projection of whichever UCS I've set.
Am I missing something ??
Thanks for the help, it's appreciated, Keith.

Secretagdan
4th Jan 2008, 04:41 pm
Command: SOLVIEW
Enter an option [Ucs/Ortho/Auxiliary/Section]: U
Enter an option [Named/World/?/Current] <Current>: C
Enter view scale <1.00000>: 1/24
Specify view center:
Specify view center <specify viewport>:
Specify first corner of viewport:
Specify opposite corner of viewport:
Enter view name: TOP
Enter an option [Ucs/Ortho/Auxiliary/Section]:

Above is an example of the set of commands, and lines that i use on a regular basis. i dont know if this helps at all.

kshotton45
4th Jan 2008, 04:49 pm
I use the same settings. I then get a 3rd angle layout. I'm after a 1st angle layout.
Are you saying that you get a 1st angle layout from your settings ?
Thanks Keith.

Secretagdan
4th Jan 2008, 05:08 pm
oh sorry. all you need to do for that then is to get your angle that you want, then set your UCS to the current view, then go through the same process. or if you are doing orthographic projections, use the ortho option to get your projection view.

JD Mather
4th Jan 2008, 05:37 pm
I suspect that the other responders don't know the difference between 1st angle orthographic projection and 3rd angle orthographic projection. Maybe there is a wiki explanation somewhere that someone would like to cite.

kshotton45
4th Jan 2008, 06:01 pm
I suspect that the other responders don't know the difference between 1st angle orthographic projection and 3rd angle orthographic projection. Maybe there is a wiki explanation somewhere that someone would like to cite.

I think you may be correct. Perhaps also I'm not explaining it too well!
No matter where you set your UCS, when you extract a set of Ortho drawings, Autocad lays them out in 3rd angle projection.
I wondered if there was a way of getting Autocad to use 1st angle projections.
Keep at it ! We're all learning!
Thanks Keith.

ReMark
4th Jan 2008, 06:30 pm
Take a look at this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=I49AEJAsa98C&pg=PA423&lpg=PA423&dq=autocad+%22first+angle+projection%22&source=web&ots=2LcosOyTAy&sig=ZyDA7gzeR7ejtQwhyD5RmyJGVaU

SLW210
4th Jan 2008, 07:17 pm
After creating the TOP view with _SOLVIEW you need to use the Auxillary option to set up the rest of the views. You determine Third Angle or First Angle Projection.

Secretagdan
4th Jan 2008, 08:15 pm
Well i guess i learned somthing new today about what the 3rd view means. Didnt know what the difference was.

kshotton45
4th Jan 2008, 10:08 pm
Thanks to everyone for their help.
I'll try these methods when I get to work on Monday.

Thanks again Keith.