PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble opening this drawing.

Skeeps
4th Feb 2008, 01:50 pm
can't seem to open this drawing, I have dwg true convert so it's not an issue with opening a different Acad version.

I'm running Acad Lt 2004

I would post it but it's too big.

Tiger
4th Feb 2008, 01:54 pm
Try open it with recover? on my machine it's File - Drawing Utilities - Recover and then select the file..

Strix
4th Feb 2008, 01:56 pm
what's it grumbling about Skeeps?

is it a full ACAD drawing that's flummoxed LT?

Skeeps
4th Feb 2008, 02:00 pm
hey that's a new one. but unfortuantly it reads 'unable to recover drawing'

Should I give up now?

Actually it's not just one drawing there was about 4 of them in an email, the odd thing is they were all at 688kb.
You don't think that they've been compressed by something do you?

I'm just trying to remember something, I think it was some software that you can cut your files in half while emailing them to reduce filesize then you run an .exe file on the other end and it joins them back up again.

What's that buzzsaw thing. It wasn't that was it?

Strix
4th Feb 2008, 02:03 pm
oh if it's on an email - get on the phone to the twerp who sent them - don't waste time and resources faffing!

Skeeps
4th Feb 2008, 02:04 pm
what's it grumbling about Skeeps?

is it a full ACAD drawing that's flummoxed LT?

it needs kicking Strix. Not sure it's a LT problem tho. can't say I've have probs opening Full versions yet espesh as I have this lovely Dwg true convert installed.

Tiger
4th Feb 2008, 02:05 pm
You want to try and email it to me and I'll give it a go?

mahahaavaaha
4th Feb 2008, 02:13 pm
Hi,

what do the files say if you do a type filename.ext in a dos-window? Do they say "ACsomething or another" or maybe "Rar!"

/Petri

riga
4th Feb 2008, 02:17 pm
Sometimes drawing that can't be recovered with 2004-2006 versions will be easely recovered with new versions (2007/2008).
Or at least that's what I've seen on some other forums where a member had a similar problem and could solve it thanks to the help of some user with an newer version.

If you want to share your drawing with us you can upload it at
http://www.megaupload.com/en/
and then post here the link that you will get there.

dbroada
4th Feb 2008, 02:26 pm
as all the files are the same size I would think it is a compressed file that requires re-joining before it is usable. (Apparently some of these download sites do that sort of thing :wink: ). I never used buzzsaw but I am sure there are other programs that do this.

James
4th Feb 2008, 02:27 pm
winrar is the common program for splitting files, but the extension would be .r01, .r02, .r03 and normally a .rar file.

Hedgehog
4th Feb 2008, 02:31 pm
Alice... someone's having you on... just looked at the files & they are all identical... if you rename the dwg's to pdf's you they open with Adobe!... for them all to be 688kb there had to be something fishy.

Tiger
4th Feb 2008, 02:37 pm
hmpf...Hedge is right. So I suggest you call the barsteward that sent them and chew his ear off!

out of curiosity - how did tou realise they were PDF's Hedge? :?

Skeeps
4th Feb 2008, 03:17 pm
odd, odd very odd.

Thanks guys, you done well.

*pats hedgehog on head*
**removes spikes from hands**

Another case for the mystery drawings ....solved!

Hedgehog
4th Feb 2008, 03:33 pm
out of curiosity - how did tou realise they were PDF's Hedge? :?
Simple... double clicked the dwg & got no result so double click a pdf & it opened no probs (Skeeps sent me 3dwgs & 3pdfs)... with them all at 688kb they're likely to all be the same file, & sure enough :wink:

* goes off to sort spikes out now they're all messed up *

Tiger
4th Feb 2008, 03:38 pm
ahaa...you be a smart little critter Hedge!

*hands over steel comb*