Local Fire Company Engine

CADken

Here is a mock-up of a Fire Truck I'm working on... It's very rough right now and I'll most likely end up starting over with actual pictures of the engine to model from. I was going to model this in 3Ds Max, but after not using the program for a few months I honestly don't know where to start...

The nice things about SketchUp is the ease of operation, there's no hidden tricks and everything is pretty straightforward... and the best part, it's just like riding a bike, you never forget :D

FireTruck.jpg

Here's another shot of the rear.

FT2.jpg

I'm hoping to incorporate the steering limits to the model and we're going to try to use this for "pre-plan" to see if the trucks are going to have any issues entering some areas of the community.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADken

• perry

• f700es

• Ritch7

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, now comes some serious modeling... here is a clay render of the cab, my goal is to fully furnish the cab with everything from seating, controls, etc.

here is just the cab:

engineclay.jpg

Holy cow, man. You have a whole lot of work ahead of you!! Seating, controls, ect...That's some detail. You must be trying to impress a CAD chick or something, lol.

Your model is looking good. I haven't drawn any curved lines yet.

Holy cow, man. You have a whole lot of work ahead of you!! Seating, controls, ect...That's some detail. You must be trying to impress a CAD chick or something, lol.

Your model is looking good. I haven't drawn any curved lines yet.

Actually, our Fire Company could use a bit of a moral booster... We've had a few members family members pass this past week and it's been pretty depressing with all the funerals and such....

I've been working on the "Pre-Plan Committee" drafting up site plans for buildings in our area and we've been debating whether or not to create a short animation... just something simple to determine whether or not our apparatus can make certain turns, etc. Anyway, I want to tackle this head on to really show them all we've got our crap together and that with today's technology we can simulate calls...

Plus all the guys get excited over seeing a shiny Fire Engine :D

here's a few shots of the model, today I added windows, doors, and seats...

insidecab.jpg

testertester.jpg

Here's the seats we use, they are open back like this to accommodate for the SCBA tank and holster... i might model those later on, but for now i'll leave it like this:

fireseat.jpg

:thumbsup:

This is really starting to look sweet! Good job and keep going.

thanks... i'm trying to get this as close as I can... I realized after I modeled the cab that I had the wrong blueprints... but I decided to motor on and keep going with what I have...

so far this has been done 100% in SketchUP (minus the KT rendering) and I've been utilizing the "intersect with model" and a ton of shapes to achieve the looks I'm producing...

here we are with a windshield:

OpenFront.jpg

okay, so I figured I had 30mins to kill and my work has been caught up for the day... here is the final shot for today... i swear :D

I increased the jamb sizes, hopefully this will be noticeable.

doorjambs.jpg

Alright, so normally during the weekends I rarely have time to model anything, but this weekend I managed to take a few minutes today to model the rear of the engine...

I'm not 100% satisfied but it's a good shell to work from:

wholeengine.jpg

Looking good!!!

My only and I mean only complaint is to smooth out your tires a bit. Just my personal preference.

Thanks!

you know... of all the things, I'm not sure how to increase the smoothness... can I do it in SketchUp easily or in KT?