Facetres in 3dsMax

matramurena

Hi,

I made a drawing in Acad, it is a piece from a puzzle, with a round bit on one end flat surfaces. When I import this into 3DS Max, I get facettes when I render it. I can't seem te get the puzzle-piece look better without distorting the flatness of the front and back side... Any suggestions? Please?

I tried it, but it doesn't seem to get rid of the facettes I have in the picture. When I render the piece in Acad it looks great with facetres at 10. When I render it in Max it looks faceted.... Any other suggestions?

Yes I tries Turbosmooth as well. The problem is that it deforms the whole object when I do that. It's about the same when you have a cylinder with just 8 sides. Then I have to get this looking round again without simply setting it to more sides and without the flatness of the top and botom to be affected.....

I can't seem to do that...

To make it a bit more understandable, here's the picture with the pieces in it and a detail of what I want to have smoothed out.

Beurswand02k.JPG

Beurswand02kk.JPG

In order to use the Turbosmooth modifier effectively, you must first add some extra edges to your object. This will force Turbosmooth to respect your sharp corners

Turbosmooth.jpg

This has totally got me mate. None of the smooth modifiers are working, I have tried re-drawing the solid still no luck.

Totally stuck with it sorry, would love to know if anyone figures it out - Like most things in MAX it prob a tick in a little box.

That looks great! Could you send me the max file of that piece? I'll have a go at it myself but I need to finish my render soon and it will look way better using this bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the design of our wall has been finished in time. The print came out quite the way I expacted it to be. A bit darker than I had it on my screen, but it looks very good. Seeing the way the wall turned out to be I think it would have looked really silly if the puzzle-piece hadn't been facetted by CAD64. Thanx a lot for that!

P4080013klein.JPG

:shock: Wow, that looks great!

And yah, if you had left those pieces as they were, at that large scale it would have looked really bad. I'm glad I was able to help. :wink:

I think that this is an issue with the difference AutoCAD displays and renders geometry and the way Max displays and renders geometry. You can alter a few display settings in AutoCAD and get a number of different results regarding the amount of facettes. Once the geometry is created (in this case by extruding), the edge details seem to be 'set in stone'.

One quick solution would be to use the lines you created in AutoCAD for the jigsaw pieces (ie do not extrude them in AutoCAD). Import just the lines into Max and extrude (using and extrude modifier) them. The lines will need to be closed polygons, by the way. The edges of the extruded geometry will then respect the smooth lines you imported

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...

Hi,

it may be a little to late, but about the facetres problem when importing a .dwg file to Max, you have to modify some settings to resolve this problem. First in AutoCAD, on Options --> Display, you must set the Contour lines per surface to 0, and in Max on the Link manager --> Maximum surface deviation for 3D solids to 0,01

Hope to be useful in the future

AutoCAD.jpg

Max.jpg

• 1 year later...
Hi,

I made a drawing in Acad, it is a piece from a puzzle, with a round bit on one end flat surfaces. When I import this into 3DS Max, I get facettes when I render it. I can't seem te get the puzzle-piece look better without distorting the flatness of the front and back side... Any suggestions? Please?

your solution can be found in a dialog box that will appear when you import your autocad file.