How to enlarge a model already built in solidworks?

accd_yuyun

Hello everyone,

My question is that, I've already built a model in SW 2006, and when I was about to print a 3D model from it, I discovered that the whole model (all parts) is smaller then needed, and need to be enlarged with its existing proportions, does anyone know how I can do it in SW?

1) I had seen a method using "Insert/ Feature/ Scale" to change scale for the part, but is it possible that I can change it within the ASSEMBLY so each part is updated at once?

2) If I use the method describe in question 1) and be able to change the model from 7 inch to 8 inch in length, the 3d print out will be the 8 inch one right? Thanks!

p.s. I know I might be able to convert it to IGES and drag the proportions in 3DsMax or Alias to achieve the same result, but just wondering if there's any easier way that I can just change the whole scale in SolidWorks (without destroying all features made in the history).

Thank you very much for the answers!!

(It is hard to find someone to ask these kind of questions..:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bloodwig80

Yes you could use option #1 and to answer question #2, correct the SLA will be indeed bigger.

Keep in mind this, once you do a "scale" command on a part, the 'scale' becomes a feature on the tree, and if you need to make changes to the part prior to the scale command being executed, they will not be accurate when you roll the state forward.

If the part will need to be continually updated I suggest you redo the part. Alternatively, some of the programs that output solid data into the SLA machine such as Spider, are able to SCALE the part before outputting it. This could save you a lot of time, especially if you are already finished with the design and you know exactly how much the scale needs to change.

• 5 months later...

We can use the design table for this case. Insert a design table (Autocreate), selecting all the dimensions (which you need to scale), except angle dimensions. Save the design table as a separate excel file. Open the excel file and scale (multiply) all the dimensions and save. Delete the design table from the model and insert the excel file which we have modified, as design table. All the features as well as the model shall get scaled. Happy scaling!

• 4 months later...

There is a tool in the Mold tool bar "Scale" the model that allows you to scale individual parts or even many parts (one at a time) from the assembly or from the model. Just turn on your "Mold" tool bar. Pick the part and edit the part. Then click the scale button and fill in th escale factor. You can do many parts quickly and will remember your "scale factor".

Tip: If you want to increase all models in an assembly, do all and then rebuild. Most mates (except distance mates) should adapt. Some mates may have to be fixed.

Hope this helps!

im not sure what your model is but becareful if you have things like tapped holes or threaded holes drawn in the model as these will not be correct anymore. Talk to the company doing the printing and see if they can scale the .stl file once you send it to them.

If the model isnt too complicated i would redraw it.