Ideas on how to plot an airfoil

Guest jjpetro

Guest jjpetro

This is what I have: an airfoil plot consisting of a column each of x and y coordinates (about 70 each) in Microsoft Excel. Is there a way to import these two columns of numbers into ACAD 2000LTi and then have it draw/plot it?

Thanks

-jp

If you're using LT, the best way is to export the Exel file to a comma delineated text file so that you have each x,y pair on a new line.

Then, simply add "PLINE" on the first line and then "c" to close on the last line and save the file with a .SCR extension.

Run your script in AutoCAD. For example, this script draws a square:

PLINE
c

Scripts are great and using a smart text editor such as Text Pad, you could add script commands using a macro to each line and draw whatever you want at each coordinate point.

Guest jjpetro

Perhaps I should've mentioned, the file was originally in a .txt format and I imported it into Excel. I have modified the .txt file to run the script as you instructed. It worked quite nicely, thank you.

Nevertheless, the format of the coordinates (in txt form) is the x coordinate followed by three spaces then the y coordinate followed by a carriage return. There are approximately 60 pairs. I ended up inserting a comma between each x-y component of each coordinate pair and also deleting all spaces between the same for AutoCad to recognized and plot them properly.

So, how does one go about delineating with commas when exporting from Excel to a text file? I have searched Excel Help but cannot find how this would be done. What is the correct path on this little journey to get to an unfriendly txt file to an ACAD script airfoil?

Please notice, the word "Novice" underneath my handle. :) Some things just don't come quite as quickly to me as it may to some of you CAD jockeys and jockettes out there.

-jp

Well, you could have used TextPad (see link above) to take out all your spaces an add commas very easily using a macro.

To export your Exel data to a comma delineated text file, simply do a Save As and select the .CSV format.

• 4 years later...

I have been searching the web and been trying to build a nice airfoil. Does anyone have some ideas on where to get started? I have been running into problems trying to search for point generaters

Used to be a fellow over at CADALOG who had some Freeware airfoil plotting software that did OK.

You may also need to use one of the Mertin Heperle's converters. He is German, so cannot answer any questions.

Wm.

• 11 years later...