LINUX!!

CADbug

hi everybody!!

i was wondering if there is anything similar to AutoCAD, 3ds max and photoshop for linux...there will be surely something...but is there anybody to let me know if they are as user freindly as software for Windows..??

• 4 years later...

Ok. I checked out the QCAD link, but it looks like it is only 2D and pretty basic at that. I've been running AutoCAD 2008 at work for 2+ years. I guess... I just wasn't impressed. And going from 3d to 2d is like trying to live life with no nose--there's just nothing that sticks out in my face.

Really, though. I had Alibre, I think when I was running window. It's no Autodesk, but it was alright. Any idea if there's anything comparable in the linux (and free?) category.

Thanks.

it's like christmas. In May. Any recomendations? Perhaps a set (or suite) that works together well? 2d, 3d, FEA (even flow, if i can be really picky)

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. I hate winter!

Jeez, I give you a link to a list of CAD programs now you want me to choose something for you? Pick your own gift. I'm clueless.:shock: I'm still trying to figure out SpunkySquirrel or whatever version of Linux I have on my home computer.:lol:

You can get Bricscad V6 for Linux for about $110 US.

http://www.bricscad.com/en_INTL/bricscad/features.jsp

I have used Intellicad products before and seem to be the good, (low cost) alternative to AutoCad. I did install the Linux version when it was in Beta and although it worked fine, it ran under Wine and was not, and is still not for that matter a true linux app.

Really, the only reason I still have a windows box is to run Autocad. Sure you could get it running in VirtualBox or some similar app but it's just easier to have a second computer.

Linux although gaining popularity in past years still lacks the funds needed (since it is open source), to develop apps like Autocad from scratch. If Autodesk thought they could make money porting it's applications to Linux I'm sure they could and would, but for now we'll just have to wait until the more people get onboard.

KC