PDA

View Full Version : recovering a drawing that has been deleted

jgmdpk
7th Jul 2008, 03:20 pm
Hi

How can you recover a drawing that you have deleted. I have bak files but dont know how to open them .Can someone help me. I have autoCad 2008

:(

lpseifert
7th Jul 2008, 03:23 pm
Rename from .bak to .dwg

jgmdpk
7th Jul 2008, 03:30 pm
i CANT SEEM TO CHANGE IT FROM BAK TO DWG:(

fbby
7th Jul 2008, 03:34 pm
lpseifert is right

Renaming .bak to .dwg is the way to recover your drawing, and
after you opened it, save it first, so that, you have another .bak file (if ever it happens again) :D

G-Prime
7th Jul 2008, 03:39 pm
Are you displaying full the file types?? because if you are not, you are just renaming the file to be *.dwg.bak

you need to go into the tab at the top, Tools>Folder Options>View

From the menu Hidden files and folders, uncheck the box, that says Hide extensions for known file types.

Then try to rename the extension

fbby
7th Jul 2008, 03:42 pm
i CANT SEEM TO CHANGE IT FROM BAK TO DWG:(

Why you can't change it? :o

Hedgehog
7th Jul 2008, 03:46 pm
That Hide extensions for known file types setting has to be one of the most irritating default settings that Windows has... you never know what you're really looking at until you disable it!!!

fbby
7th Jul 2008, 03:47 pm
I think I need a little faster, lol! :lol:

dbroada
7th Jul 2008, 04:12 pm
That Hide extensions for known file types setting has to be one of the most irritating default settings that Windows has... you never know what you're really looking at until you disable it!!!
fully agree - always the first thing I change

Hedgehog
7th Jul 2008, 04:44 pm
Thing is it actually makes your computer more vulnerable... it may be more secure now, but a while ago I intercepted someone trying to open a file called CV.doc or something... took me a while to realise the setting hadn't been changed on his pc & it was an executable file, CV.doc.exe... had to do a full cleanse on his machine.

jgmdpk
7th Jul 2008, 05:02 pm
Thanks Got It Sorted. I Would Never Have Worked That Out

Cheers:d

dbroada
7th Jul 2008, 05:02 pm
yes, a lot of viruses have their extension hidden in that way.

my inbox fills up with attachments named <insert your personal temptation>.jpg.scr