Online courses

lurchandpasta

I recently read a thread about online courses, but can't seem to find it at the moment. There was a link for Penn something or other and I requested info from them and was told that this is not available for Italy.

Would anyone know where I could sign up for an online course available worldwide with a certificate that is valid worldwide?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lurchandpasta

• ReMark

• Strix

• Delboyjoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, I didn't know about the "similar threads" links at the bottom of the page. I have never gone down that far.

I'm not a big fan of online courses, people I know started but never finish,

If your based in the UK I would suggest a college course doing a City & Guilds certificate.

Murray State College in the USofA. The program is called the CAD Institute. Check it out. The last course I took had more people from outside the uS than inside.

I've posted about the course in the past. The professor is a man of few words and pretty direct. Your classmates will probably turn out to be more talkative. Assignments, answering questions and completing drawings, is your "homework". The course is self-paced. If you finish before the 8 weeks is up that's fine. Progress of all participants is tracked and you can compare yourself to your classmates. A special forum for members of the class is available for discussions.

I'm not a big fan of online courses, people I know started but never finish,

If your based in the UK I would suggest a college course doing a City & Guilds certificate.

Excuse me if i sound rude, but by saying you are not a fan of online courses and not actually helping in any way tells me that you probably think I am one of those people that you know, I am not and please do not assume that I am. I was going to ignore this post and then decided not to.

I have a health problem that is forcing me away from the work which I am doing and hence I have to learn a different trade. I have chosen AutoCAD and therefore have to do and complete a course to be able to find work using it.

I hope that the next time you post in a thread where someone is looking for a bit of assistance, you post something useful.

My apologies to the rest of the forum for this post.

I've posted about the course in the past. The professor is a man of few words and pretty direct. Your classmates will probably turn out to be more talkative. Assignments, answering questions and completing drawings, is your "homework". The course is self-paced. If you finish before the 8 weeks is up that's fine. Progress of all participants is tracked and you can compare yourself to your classmates. A special forum for members of the class is available for discussions.
Thanks again ReMark, I have sent an email on to them requesting more information and am waiting for a reply.

You've got Lazer all wrong :wink:

He just isn't that kind of guy

This is a forum populated by people who spend their day achieving what they do by problem solving and tackling problems, which brings with it a type of personality - we're all pretty 'cards on the table', and we're all accepting of input on a topic (well pretty much anyway)

When somebody asks for course or career advice they're always given both positives and negatives so they can weigh up the pro's and con's themselves, rather than us behaving like a women's support group :whistle:

If you're going to spend money on a course, Lazer has experience of how difficult it is to stay motivated on such a course as compared with a course you have to attend, so his input is relevant here :thumbsup:

I'm sure you misconstrued Lazer's comments.

Another resource to consider would be the CAD Correspondence Institute at www.thecci.com.

Best of luck to you. Let us know what you decide.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure you misconstrued Lazer's comments.

Another resource to consider would be the CAD Correspondence Institute at www.thecci.com.

Also looking promising, and much cheaper than Murray State College.

I have to pay a visit to an agency in a nearby town on the 31st, I then need to make a couple of comparisons and make my decision from there. The agency is an autodesk certified agency, but will mean a 30 mile journey (one way) 3 times a week for however many weeks (don't know this figure yet)

to attend the classes.

If I have misconstrued Lazers comment, then I apologize, I found the comment void of useful information, judgement prevailed.

I think for the first time in over 1000 posts I have upset a member of the forum, I do apologize. I spent 4 years at my local College doing Autocad and many older students said they gave online courses a shot and had problems as they had no teacher to push them, I also started an online Microsoft Certificate for networking and I never finished the course for the same reason, lack of support, I do understand many people do find these courses very good and they must have a high pass rate. Again sorry and I do wish you well:)

I think for the first time in over 1000 posts I have upset a member of the forum, I do apologize. I spent 4 years at my local College doing Autocad and many older students said they gave online courses a shot and had problems as they had no teacher to push them, I also started an online Microsoft Certificate for networking and I never finished the course for the same reason, lack of support, I do understand many people do find these courses very good and they must have a high pass rate. Again sorry and I do wish you well:)
I think with all the comments from fellow forum members, it is clear to me that you were not being offensive, so your apology was not necessary, but thank you anyway, and thanks for the well wishes.

Hello, Motherwell College in Scotland do an online worldwide course.

www.motherwell.ac.uk

Thank you for this link, another option for me to look into.

You are a Samaritan.

I decided to go with this course as it was the cheapest. Afterwards I read the whole setup for all the links and found out that the others issue a certificate of completion, whereas this one gives a certificate with a percentage pass mark. I paid for three of the courses they offer and received the first one Friday evening. The three courses are as follows:

Part 1:- AutoCAD 2D and LT

Part 2:- AutoCAD 2D advanced

Part 3:- AutoCAD 3D

The gentleman whom I spoke with on the phone said that I can do the second two parts in any order I wish.

Tomorrow morning I have to go to the hospital for blood tests and will start on this first part afterwards, but I have been reading through it and will probably be able to finish it in about 2 to 3 weeks because of what I have studied so far. They give a 4 month time limit on it.

Thank you again ReMark, you are a star.

I will keep you posted on how I'm doing. So far I am excited.

Well, first off, I hope all goes well for you medically.

I'm glad to hear you found a course that fulfills your needs. I would be interested, as others may be, in hearing your assessment of the course(s) upon completion. Your critique may prove invaluable to others looking to take an on line course.

Me, a star? I doubt it. But thanks for the compliment. Just trying to help out a fellow "CADDIE".

Hello, Motherwell College in Scotland do an online worldwide course.

www.motherwell.ac.uk

hey there, i started a thread recently looking info on a HNC CAD course, which is through motherwell college. Do you know anyone who has completed this course, or what they thought of it?

I also would be very interested to hear how you get on

lurchandpasta! I think it would be very benificial to others if you update us on your progress of this course! vbmenu_register("postmenu_165320", true);

• 4 weeks later...

I did my first test last night after a month of starting the course (I was given a 4 month time limit) and got 100% for the theory, I have sent in the drawing for marking and should receive the results within 48 hours. The drawing was just a basic shape with measurements which was sent to me in a PDF file and I had to recreate it using AutoCAD.

The first part was extremely easy due to the fact that I have been studying from the books that I purchased. I am now starting on the second part which is still in 2D and uses the more advanced commands. I hope to write this test in a months time as well.