Why cant I attach relative path ??

Lucas_

Hey !!

I wounder why I only can attach xref like a full patch only and not like a relative patch ?

I already have 2 xref added in relative patch mode but I need to add one more.

//Thanks for all help

As far as I know, you have to first attach the X-ref and then alter the path to Relative after it's attached. I've never done it another way anyways.

I know you need to save the dwg befor you can attach an xref with a relative path. Otherwise it will force a full path.

Tiger- How do you change the path type after the xref is attached? I didn't know you could do that...

I just noticed that you could select Path Type when attaaching the X-ref.. never used that option but there you have it - if (as chulse says) the drawing is saved beforehand.

To change a Full Path to Relative I bring out the XRef Manager, highlight the X-ref in question and under Details you can change the path under 'Found At', add some dots and slashes in the right order and voila!

I just noticed that you could select Path Type when attaaching the X-ref.. never used that option but there you have it - if (as chulse says) the drawing is saved beforehand.

To change a Full Path to Relative I bring out the XRef Manager, highlight the X-ref in question and under Details you can change the path under 'Found At', add some dots and slashes in the right order and voila!

Nice. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
As far as I know, you have to first attach the X-ref and then alter the path to Relative after it's attached. I've never done it another way anyways.

No, not necessarily. There is a bug in AutoCAD that will refuse to allow a relative path sometimes, even when it's technically possible. But the workaround is to save the drawing and try again, it works the second time. (I'm not sure if this has been solved and with what version...)

There is also a way to make "relative path" the default setting.

See: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=39723