PDA

View Full Version : Need Euro Help building new Cad Machine

Rickard5
16th Jul 2008, 01:59 am
Hello, has any of our European and Brittish Friends ever seen or Maybe have one of these:
http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/photos/act_apricot-portable_r-side.jpg
I'd like to find one to Build a new AutoCad around I've got an HP 1.6 GHZ laptop I'd be willing to donate to the project. or I'm thinking of modding a ASUS EEE PC (http://eeepc.asus.com/global/) in to one Since my Personal Home Studio is my Living Room and my Living Room is my studio for meeting with independent clients, Design is every bit as important as Function! I also find that when working with a Client it tends to work better and faster if we are at my Drafting board and I'm sketching on Paper. But my Big Idea is to take my BIG Hamalton VR20 and Flush mount a 18"x18" Tablet on the Verry Left edge of the table and have this system mounted above the Tablet and have a Second Monitor mounted on a Monitor arm on the Other End of the table. I figure if I flush mount the tablet on the left edge of the table I should still have enough room left on the table to confortably work on E size Drawings with room to spare :) there is more information about this Apricot computer Her (http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/computer.asp?st=1&c=492)e I'd pay top $$$ for one working or not, but if I found one working I'd still be looking for a dead one :) as this would be kinda a kool living room Oddity. I'd also think about any other Old Computer that would be a neat kool all in one design. I also have a TRS-80 Model III I found at a junk shop, I'm thinking of useing. THe whole Idea is to make a Clean neat install. One Cable for Power! but since My stylistic ideas lean more to the Post Bauhaus Intenational Style, A more sleak Clean look is what I want.

CADTutor
16th Jul 2008, 11:50 am
Hey, that's a nice piece of design but I've never seen that Apricot model before. Can you really get AutoCAD to run on that?

Rickard5
16th Jul 2008, 12:20 pm
Hey, that's a nice piece of design but I've never seen that Apricot model before. Can you really get AutoCAD to run on that?

Well Tutor my BIG idea is to find one DEAD (I'd hate to kill such a cool little machine) and gut it, then drop in a laptop motherboard and screen so I can have a fairly modern computer! The thing is that design not only would complement my Table, but it would fit in REAL nice with my early 80's Naim Stereo. I'm so in to that design I'm almost Dreaming of Making molds to injection mold a case like that. but even if I did all the work my self it would be a thing of spending lots of money and having to 100 of them even with a lab sized injection molding machine.

ReMark
16th Jul 2008, 12:25 pm
It must be a slow day at the office.:unsure: :lol:

Rickard5
16th Jul 2008, 04:21 pm
It must be a slow day at the office.:unsure: :lol:
Yes Mark it is, I'm 39, I worked my self in to a 3 month coma, and Retirement so every day is a slow day, and when I do see fit to show up @ the shop to do what needs doing, I'm not even allowed in the office with the "respectable" People. so I'm not to sure how Busy they are up there. in here I'm moving along at a leisurely pace, Motivating my Asst. to MOVE. Think if I poke her with a sharp stick, she'd move faster like a turtle, Or attack like when you poke a bare with a sharp stick? but I like slow days I get more done :)

ReMark
16th Jul 2008, 04:28 pm
You must like to torture yourself too. This is not a project for the faint at heart.

Rickard5
16th Jul 2008, 04:55 pm
Well mark I like a Challenge :) plus I reallyenjoy the whole design and building process, like Model Building :) but the Real pay off in something like this is the "SHOW OFF"WOW" Factor" . it's like when you see these Rich Doctor Bikers and their $1000 Kuryakyn Foot Pegs on their $50,000 Harleys, I can look them in the eye and drive them nuts because the bike I'm on is not really better but it is and they can't buy Original stuff like mine at any Price! That's the Secrit of how a working man get's any thing nice. Find what ya can and Fabricate what ya want

ReMark
16th Jul 2008, 05:32 pm
Find what ya can and Fabricate what ya want.

Good advice. Think if I fabricate an Angelina Jolie replica my wife will understand?:shock: :lol:

Rickard5
16th Jul 2008, 09:02 pm
Good advice. Think if I fabricate an Angelina Jolie replica my wife will understand?:shock: :lol:

Well Mark I don't know if she'll understand , but here in Texas we got s law that say's if she don't don't understand when she turns 36 you can trade her in on two 18 year olds and a Bad Taupe, and at 40 you get 20 year olds , a bad taupe, and a 60's - 70's English sports car complete with all Lucas Electronics! But be careful your next trade in opportunity is at 60 when you get 2 30 year olds, the taupe, and a french sports car,but she get's the Paid for house, the Dog and your retirement savings!