Unreliable SU6 (free)

fostertom

I gave up on SketchUp - maybe time to try again. Does anyone else have the trouble I had? I found SU6 (free) hopelessly unreliable at uniting lines drawn colinear and that had many effects like areas not closing as surfaces; never sure what I'd selected. Even with continual use of Plug-ins Make Faces and Stray Lines, I spent so much time chasing faults. Someone told me that's typical of SU on a PC but happens not at all on a Mac - that's hard to believe.

not sure what OS you have, but Vista and SU were known to have some common issues that can easily be resolved.

It sounds like you may have had a driver issue.

Post your computer specs.

OK - XPHome, AMD ATHLON 64 x2 3600 GHz, 4GB PC3200 400MHz, GIGABYTE K8N-SLI ATX BOARD, GEFORCE 6800GS, 500GB SATA 8MB CACHE 7200 RPM (sorry, caps as copied from the spec/invoice). Logitech wireless kbd and mouse, 3DConnexions SpacePilot. Any good?

• 4 weeks later...

Your specs are more than enough for SU. As for your surfaces not closing in (or areas not closing in), that happens to me all the time.

I have to keep to flipping the picture around so that the program will fill in the surface for me, so that I can then cover it with whatever material I want.

I think it's just something that takes getting used to.

Thanks for reply. By 'flipping' you mean pan/zoom/rotate? - and that causes recalculation? I don't find that - and I'd have said that was just a graphics/presentation change, wouldn't cause recalc of the underlying database? Still, if it works for you ...

rotate, orbit, whatever it takes to get a different view of the object, and then I redraw the lines that I need to complete a surface.

It doesn't cause a recalculation.

When you have several lines and surfaces, it can be difficult for the program to understand what surface you want to be whole or finished.

So, I rotate or orbit around, and then there are less lines for the program to see and SU generally figures out that I want to make an area a surface.

And sometimes, this takes several tries...

edit: sorry, in my first post, I did make it sound like it happened automatically. It does not.