Can I do grading in map 3D?

ChrisCMU

I used to do 3d modeling (mechanical drawings) in autocad 14, but have not done it since. I have 2009 Map 3D and I want to learn how to do some road grading. So, I have two questions:

1) is grading only done in Civil 3D? Can I do it in map 3D? If so, what are the pros and cons of this?

2) Does anybody know of any good classes (online or local, in metro Denver) that I could take to learn this?

Thanks in advance.

You will need to do the grading in Civil 3D' date=' then import the contours into Map 3D. I would recommend going to Autodesk's website, as they have many tutorials available. Also check out www.civil3d.com.

well, I already have 3D contours though.

What do you mean by grading?

You can create 3d features and rendered models (solids, topo sufaces etc..) which you can then get volumes areas etc.. from. The same as in AutoCad, and can use any acad 3d tutorials.

To my knowledge, Map is pretty much AutoCad with some extra functions that benefit GIS workers.

That is what I am referring to. Adding a surface to those lines and doing analysis on them. Things like the slope of the surface, volume of basins, maybe direction of water flow. Those types of things. Basically I want to know that I could take a class and learn to do those things in Map 3D. And also if you know of any good classes to take on that.

You'll need Civil 3D or another comparable product to do such analysis. Note that Civil 3D comes with Map 3D.

Hmm, is it just a separate install disc? I don't have Civil on my PC, but I didn't install Map 3D either (our software guy did).

Hmm, is it just a separate install disc? I don't have Civil on my PC, but I didn't install Map 3D either (our software guy did).

Its a completely different license. i would ask the software guy what the company purchased.

Make sure when you purchase Civil 3D you must have training on how to use it in tandem. its a lot more expensive than the regular acad package and it would be a waste not to be able to use the program's full potential.

Hi, I did a quick look through help menu, and I think it may be worth your while to look a bit further into Map's capabilities.

I generally use Map like straight AutoCad, so can't give you definative answer, but after looking at "cui" I have added 3 menus, Analyze, Civil General & Civil I think some functions within these menus may be of help to you. It looks like you should be able to create a surface from point data, and then analyse; including grades and volumes.

If you look at help menu for these topics they should give more info on how to use.

Perhaps you should post your question in the section for Autodesk vertical products.