Developing construction drawing from a 3D model?

charlie72

What is the best way to develop construction drawings from a 3D model?

The models I usually work on relate to buildings and landscape. At the moment I usually perform sections and slice techniques to gain the various floor plans and sections required. Then I will save these to a separate drawing and modify them according to what I need to show, including adding notes and dimensions. Some lines on these sections and plans may also be in need of change therefore I have to perform an explode in order to do this. However this action severs my reference to the original model and therefore any changes to the model will not be updated on the plans or sections.

I would like to here how other people gain construction drawings from a 3d model please as I know there has to be a better method than the one that I have developed.

charlie, I would save different elements of your drawing on different layers rather than copying them to new files. You can turn any layer on/off as needed. Instead of slicing the drawing, i would use clipping planes to show the inside features.

i dont work with any buildings or rooms, im all mechanical but this is how i do things.

I understand how slicing up a model caused me huge problems and it was the way I initially did an analysis of a model until I did further research and found out about section planes. Sorry I mentioned this as I have moved over mostly to performing section planes to carryout internal views of my model both vertically, horizontally and isometric projections.

I’m not sure Shift how you develop a working drawing by isolating layers directly from a model? I need to have the option of changing a line weight and type and I don’t think that this is possible as these lines are actual 3D edges on a real model.

However if I wanted to change the lines in say a plan section plane I generally have to perform an explode command to access the plane as its created as a block and therefore I lose my reference to the original model.

If I can find a way round of retaining the reference this would be a very powerful tool to have in my line of work. For example if I was to make a change to my model and with all my various views, plans and sections referenced to the model then this would greatly reduce my workload as they would be updated with these changes. AutoCAD probably wont make all the necessary updates to the drawings in the way that I would like to see them printed but I wouldn’t mind just going through the drawings (section planes) and touching them up.

Probably a bit more experimentation is required on my part but I’m very grateful to hear how others develop working/construction drawings from a 3D model.

It's really difficult. I think to do this effectively you need to use a different package e.g Inventor/Solidworks.

this would be good for the structures anyway. I've just got Solidworks at work after a lot of effort, so far so good, it's sooo much better than AutoCAD for this type of thing.

That's not music to my ears Spittle, to hear that autocad is poor when it comes to producing and managing real paper drawings from a 3D model although i'm aware of solidworks and how much eaiser it is to use.

I've come this far with autocad so i think i will stick with it another while and develop some way around this.

Autocad Architecture can do this, it is a BIM product built on Autocad, you have full use of Autocad lines and arcs and what not, but with Architectural elements such as slabs, roof, walls and what not. You build your building in 3-d and then pull your CD's off of that, if you move a window you just refresh your elevation pull off. That is the best you are going to do with an Autocad based BIM product, the other idea wouldbe Revit, which is full parametric IE you move a window and it will update the entire CD's based on that move.

• 2 weeks later...

You are doing it the only way it can be done.

Solidworks, Inventor, Solidedge, Pro-E etc are MCAD applications and can perform sections etc well for MCAD products.

Architecture can perform architectural sections well; for architectural presentations / planning applications etc.

None of them perform sections the way you want them to. I say this with about 3 years of experience trying behind me.:?

There is always a problem going from 3D to 2D which is ridiculous when at the end of the day for most of us, the final product of a drawing office are 2D paper drawings that can be taken to site or the fabrication shop etc.

You also have the issue of supplying clients and suppliers with 2D dwg files they can use reliably. It's really disappointing that Autocad lets itself down on this important functionality; but to be fair they all do and Architecture is after all, for Architects, not for us detailers.:cry:

Chin up, section then explode or slice isn't so bad. At least you have the reassurance that your geometry is spot on!

If you do find a better way - let me know!:wink:

Cheers

Doove