Please help - shuttle barebones problem

CADsince07

Hi All,

Trying to put PC together with my dad - have a shuttle SN68PTG5 and am trying to install AMD Athlon X2 64 6000 Processor. The heat sync that comes with the Processor seems too big to fit and yet it says if we use a different heat sync then we void the waranty. The shuttle barebones system has its own heat sync and we are wondering - can we just use that heat sync? Also if we do, do we need to buy some thermal coupling material to do so? Will the heat sync that comes with the shuttle system be ok for the above processor? Please help - we have limited time to put the pc together.

Thanks all,

:unsure: Well, this is an Autocad forum, not a computer repair forum, so I don't know how much help you're going to get with this? Especially over the weekend? I have moved your question to the "Hardware & Operating Systems" section.

Good luck.

Use a good quality thermal compound and the heat sink that came with the system. It should be fine. Motherboard manufacturers have now built in the ability for the system to monitor the temperature of the chip and to shut the system down before the CPU fries itself. You should know within 90 seconds of firing up your computer if high temperature is a problem.