View Cube and Steeringwheel

ArmageddonAsh

i have 3DS max 2009 and i found out that versions my uni has, has got these very useful tools and i was wondering why doesnt mine? do i have to update to service pack 1 as thats what my uni is using.

also i keep getting some DLL error message come up about some missing plugin or soemthing any ideas how to fix it, im running vista ultimate 32bit

thanx.

I have moved your question to the 3DS Max section.

I don't have 2009, so I don't know about the View Cube or the Steeringwheel, but that missing DLL error may have something to do with it. Try reinstalling the program.

As for service packs, whenever they are available, install them. They fix problems with the program.

sorry for posting in wrong section.

i have reinstalled it several times

when i tried updating it screwed it up so i had to reinstall, i read quite a few people had this problem with Vista, could this be it as my uni uses XP?

Well, Vista does cause problems with some programs. If others are experiencing the same problem, then I guess you have your answer. Have you tried contacting Autodesk for assistance?

the error code im getting is

Loading DLLs

DLL fialed to initialize

error code:998 - Invalid access to memory location

any idea?

i tried to contact autodesk, but it says that i should contact my reseller as i dont know who it was brought from, as it was brought for me as a gift ready for uni.

EDIT: i dont have 3DS MAX 2009, i have 3DS max 9

i didnt mean for free, ive looked for palces where i can buy it but found nothing.

ive just downloaded the trial, it says that i have to uninstall any previous version of 3ds max....do i really have to uninstall it? as i would like to go back to using 3ds max 9 til i get a full version

@ ReMark thanx ill give it ago.

okay thanx ill have a look into it, yeah i think they are using service pack 2.

any idea if its safe to install 2009 demo with 3ds max 9 still installed?

okay so it seems i dont have 3ds max 2009 but i have 3ds max 9,

so where can i get 3ds max 2009?

Well that explains why you don't have the View Cube or the Steeringwheel. They don't exist in Max9.

any idea if its safe to install 2009 demo with 3ds max 9 still installed?

I think you might have conflicts between the two versions if you don't uninstall Max9 first. Why don't you just install the 2009 trial version, use it for 30 days and then uninstall it and install Max9?

Actually, now that I think of it, I would avoid using the 2009 version completely if you're planning on going back to Max9. Studio Max files are not backwards compatible. If you create a model in Max2009, save it and then try to open it in Max9, it won't work. It's not like Autocad, where you can save down to an earlier version. Max9 files can be opened in Max2009, but not the other way around. Just something to consider.

:D yeah that does explain it, i downlaoded and installed the 2009 demo but i get the message 0xc0000142 about it not starting correctly.

i just installed it with 3ds max 9 still installed. ill remove 3ds max 9 in a minute, like yo said i can still re-install it after the 30 day trial

right it has taken several hours but i have finally gotten it to work.

i ran RegCure nine or ten times to get rid of as man errors as possible then i ran tune up utilites 1 click maintanence and then i ran there registry defragmnetor and that was after i had uninstalled both 2009 demo and 9 and i then had to turn off UAC to install it, im going to turn it back on and hope that it still works

but worth the hassle :D