3D CAD workstation deployment question

pparker

I need help solving a hardware deployment problem for a client! I've got just over 1500sq ft of floor space + 300-400 sq ft max for IT data center. I've got to get 16-18 3D CAD engineers / 3D graphics artists, plus 4-5 admin & managers into this space. Workstation configuration will depend upon job function of each employee, but minimum configuration will be Core 2 Quad with 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 9800GT. Maximum configuration (at this point)will be Dual Quad Core Xeons, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 x 2 (quad monitor config).

For those of you out there who manage or operate in small or medium-sized offices, how do you manage the PC real estate, noise, & heat issues in limited spaces? How do you plan for growth? Your help is appreciated!

PParker

Is everyone in a cubicle or are some of your people operating "out in the open" so to speak?

Most of the noise comes from all the fans we find in today's computers. There are power supply fans, CPU fans, fans on graphics cards and "extra" case fans. No wonder there's so much noise! However, some manufacturers have made great strides in making their computer configurations less noisy. Have you considered any sound attentuation measures? Cloth covered panels, sound adsorption material, or acoustical ceiling tiles?

Heat? From computers themselves? Some high end computers actually come with liquid cooling systems. For the very best in quiet running computers you can skip the case altogether and submerse the working components in a bath of mineral oil. It looks crazy but it really works. This is not something to do if you are faint at heart.

Thanks for the response! Has anyone had any experience with the blade PC workstation systems or racking PCs and extending KVM signals via KVM-over-IP technology? Reason I ask is I've got IT in one space 2 floors below where my main office space is to be located. I have a fried who manages an IT department for CAD/MCAD engineers, and he tried a pilot deployment of KVM-over-IP technology. Too much latency, mouse ghosting, and other related issues. Anybody else tried anything similar?:huh:

At this point I'll have to take my leave. The last bit about KVM-over-IP technology is way over my head. But good luck in your search for a solution.