Connecting with Excel...

DanielD

I downloaded an LT demo (32-bit) a couple of months ago and played around with the datalinking. I had no problems with it other than not being familiar with the differences (I was using 2000).

Since then I have had my workstation updated to a new T3400 Core2Duo. My system consists of:

64-bit AutoCad LT 2009 run side-by-side as a 2-D platform for graphics generated with ProE on XP Professional x64.

I am using Excel 2003 (11.8220.8221) SP3.

Now when I try to 'Create a new datalink', I write in a name and get this:

"Creating, editing, and updating data links are unavailable because the following required application cannot be found: -Microsoft Excel".

This sounds fairly self explanatory but I'm at a loss as to how AutoCad connects to Excel.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

What did you select for Path Type? From AutoCAD Help:

Path Type

"Determines the path that will be used to find the file specified above. There are three path options: full path, relative path, and no path."

DFnH: Heidi Hewett's blog re: AutoCAD LT 2008 enhancements says this is a new feature:

Table linking with Excel

Are we talking the same thing?

What am I missing?

My ACad LT 2009 Help has many references to datalinking, and not just OLE or Paste Special Table linking with Excel.

I had downloaded a Demo LT 2009 a few months ago specifically to explore the uses of datalinking in order to streamline some of the operations we do.

I was able to integrate Excel tables into AutoCad LT with no problems other than not knowing what I was doing right off.

The Demo was 32-bit, though...I goofed and downloaded the wrong one.

Can there be some conflict with 64-bit Cad and Excel 2003?

I don't think it is a conflict between AutoCAD and Excel.

Create a Restore point then take you LT installation CD and insert it in the drive. Under Setup I think there is a Repair option. Try it then tell us if it solved the problem or not.

64 bit acad is not compatible with OLE/OBDC data sources. you now have to use SQL. I discovered this while investigating why I couldn't get the BOM for MEP to work. (still trying to figure the datalink thing out)