What desktop spec, help !

Cubes CDS

Hey all,

I am about to order my new desktop and am unsure what spec too go for. I mainly use Autocad, Inventor, Sketchup, and a few rendering programs.

Here are my options

a) Intel Core 2 Duo E8650, 3.00 Ghz, 1333mhz Dual Core.

c/w Nvidia 512mb Quadro FX1700 Graphics Card.

or

b) Intel Xeon E5410, 2.33 Ghz, 1333mz Quad Core.

c/w Nvidia 256mb Quadro FX570 Graphics Card.

both are working out around the same price, but I am unsure which to go for.:unsure:

Also is Vista 64 bit worth getting over 32bit.

Hope someone can help me make my decision.

Merry xmas.

I like "a" due mainly to the graphics card. What are the specs on RAM and the hard drive?

I cannot offer advice re: Vista as I refuse to switch from XP Pro. I'll wait for the next Windows release instead.

64bit computing gives you a slight edge in performance and definitely helps if you want to max out RAM (like to 8GB or 16GB). Other than that, don't go with the 64bit. Especially if you are going to run programs or hardware that you are unsure about having 64bit drivers for.

I am with Mark. Option A would be my choice, simply because of the Graphics Accelerator. :)

Cheers Guys

Your advice is steering me towards option (a)

ReMark, the Hard Drive is 250GB (7200rpm) and the RAM is 2.0GB (2x1.0GB 800mhz DDR2)

My hardware knowledge is limited.:cry:

Although I think I will go for option a with an XP downgrade from Vista. Still not decided over the 32/64bit.

Off topic comment: why do microsoft feel the need to bring new software out when they are still de-bugging current ones, that goes for Autodesk aswell.:twisted:

Thanks again guys, any further comments/advise will be gratefully received. Ordering my new Desktop in approx 5 hours:D

Off topic comment: why do microsoft feel the need to bring new software out when they are still de-bugging current ones, that goes for Autodesk aswell.

If Microsoft made their Operating System for only one computer, then it would never crash or lock up, a.k.a. "bugs". But there are literally thousands of different computer hardware configurations out there.

Think of it this way: A Sony Playstation has an Operating System that Sony made specifically for that one particular unit, which is a proprietary computer. That O.S. only operates one type of computer hardware configuration, so it never has to keep up with updates, new hardware, etc. :)

If it is not too late I would boost the RAM to a minimum of 4GB. You can never have too much money or RAM. It's a fact of life.

Just remember if you do this, on a 32bit version of Windows, it will only read & allocate 3.5GB of the 4GB installed. And to even enable an extra 1GB to be allocated by the computer you will need to adjust a setting in WinXP Pro. A link is here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/pae/paemem.mspx

Bingo Tanner! Same way that Apple's OSX seems to work better. It only has a limited number of setups to work on. It is no more stable than XP or Vista.

If Microsoft made their Operating System for only one computer, then it would never crash or lock up, a.k.a. "bugs". But there are literally thousands of different computer hardware configurations out there.

Think of it this way: A Sony Playstation has an Operating System that Sony made specifically for that one particular unit, which is a proprietary computer. That O.S. only operates one type of computer hardware configuration, so it never has to keep up with updates, new hardware, etc. :)

To use 4GB of RAM on a computer running XP Pro requires inserting just one line in the Boot.ini file. I know, as I am currently running my computer in such a manner. It's referred to as the "3/GB Switch".