Help With Radiosity Please !!

cad_student

Hi all,

I am currently trying to render an interior scene using radiosity,But when i import a chair model from a previously created scene and try to render the room again, the whole scene locks up and rendering stops in mid flow, i replaced the material on the chair from chrome (raytrace material) to wood (not raytraced) and it works fine, can anyone tell me why the chair causes problems in my scene as i would like to have the frame in chrome not wood.

Also yet another little problem is that when i calculate my radiosity solution and the enable meshing is turned on and free point photometric light is placed in the scene ,once calculated the meshing that represents the light bounce seems to be placed inside the wall and not on the visable parts of the scene i.e the bed,walls other furniture.So i enabled use adaptive subdivision this seems to have solved the problem with the light being calculated inside the wall cavitys, but instead puts just a patch of meshing in the centre of the room.

Sorry for the long post and any help would be gratefully appreciated, many thanks.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever resolve these issues?

Are you rendering with Mental Ray?

Does the rendering actually stop, or does it just slow way down?

Does the chair render properly in the other scene that you borrowed it from?

I know that Raytrace materials do cause processor slow down during rendering. Try using the "Arch & Design (mi)" instead.

I don't really know what the Radiosity problem could be, but the combination of the Raytrace chrome and the Radiosity solution may be what's causing the rendering to lock up. :unsure:

Hi and thanks for the response,I sorted the problem out by resetting the xform of the chair as i had scaled it down,All was well there after.