rotate a feature from feature library ?

jkristia

Another question from me.

I'm trying to understand how the feature library works.

I have created a 'corner trim' feature, a simple 7x1 angle shaped feature which will be attached to all corners of a building. Instead of repeating the sketch on each corner (or repeat the same sketch shape on every coner but within the same sketch) I want to create a library feature for this.

Creating the feature of course was not a problem. But inserting it is what gives me the problem. At first I did not have any external references defined, so when I inserted the feater on the top plane it was always inserted at the origin. This would be ok if I could just figure out how make the inner corner coinside with the corner on the building and at the same time rotate the feature to follow the walls. But it seems like the only way I can do this is to go in and modify the sketch for each feature.

Then I tried to add a reference to the origin in the library feature, thinking that I would be able to then align this reference point with the corner point, but that doesn't seem to work either.

This is what the feature sketch looks like. Notice I do not have any horz or vert constrains so I should be able to rotate it - somehow - shouldn't I ?

sketch.jpg

ahh, I think I got it.

If I add a edge and point reference to the base feature in the library feature, then when I add the feature to the part I can select first the edge and then point to align it. - pretty cool.