Software

Johnart2000

I am trying to learn CAD. Though I do have about 11 years of drafting experience, this was several years ago and none of it involved CAD. I am currently trying to find out how I can get a copy of the software on a trial basis. I would like to go through some tutorials but I assume that I would need the software on my system. I also have a current problem in that I have windows ME ...so any trial copy would have to run under this system until I am in a position to update. Any guidance anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated.

AutoDesk (the maker of AutoCAD) offers free versions of some of its vertical products (not plain AutoCAD) to students (proof required) and 30-day trials of AutoCAD upon request. There are some free-for-use CAD programs available but you'll have to search for them. Windows ME? That goes back a ways. You'll have to check the system requirements for any CAD program you're interested in.

What field are you looking to enter?

Free CAD software...start here. A number of programs listed. Take a peek at CADvance as ver 6.5 works with WinMe. Be forewarned that these programs are not in the mainstream of what the majority of people run.

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm#2D3DCADSystems

Pay no attention to the words "mechanical engineering". Many CAD programs can be used across disciplines.

Check out what is available on eBay. Search on the word AutoCAD. I saw release 14 which I imagine should work with WinME. There is also a program called TurboCAD Designer 12. Both of these programs will handle 2D just fine. Only AutoCAD 14 will be capable of 3D (to some extent). I think someone once said that the program's 3D capability was more like 2-1/2D! LOL

One last option is to check on craigslist. About two months ago I came across someone, in my home state, selling AutoCAD LT 2005 for $150 (U.S.). The guy even posted pictures of the CD and all the printed material. The program retailed for $795.

Guest Xenophon

for personal use ProgeCad Smart is free and fully autocad comatble, infact you wouldn't know you were not using autocad.

ya you can buy used seats of acad for cheap now too that that vernon guy won against autodesk and stood up for first sale rights.

and there is a pro version of intellicad latest (6.5) for 50$ http://www.smart-dwg.com/