how to model stair balusters ?

jkristia

Here is another 'how to model this' question. Cedar I hope you can help me again on this one :)

How would you model the balusters going from the step to the handrail?

I can think of 2 ways, but I'm sure there must be a better one.

#1 - create the sketch of all the balusters at the top plane (bottom of the part) and then extrude up to the surface of the handrail, after that add a cut to remove the lower part of the feature.

#2 - create a sketch on top of the thread, extrude up to surface, then copy the sketch to each of the other steps.

Any better suggestions ?

Oh, just thought of a third way. #3 Create the baluster as seperate body then use the move-copy feature for place one (or two) on each step

Jesper

stairs.jpg

Oh, there are a hundred ways to do that. I doubt the same person would do it the same each time. But one thing for sure… look into SKETCH BLOCKS to represent lumber.

In the square version I extruded one baluster from the bottom past the hand rail, patterned it, then cut it with a surface.

On the fancy version I drew a sketch that would control a “sketch driven pattern”. Draw one baluster and pattern it with points on a sketch.

stairs1.jpg

stairs2.jpg

Cool, I like the sketch pattern - thank you very much

This is what I'm playing with / working on, another model building. My next question is if there is a quick and easy way to replace the color for all components of a certain color, e.g, I would like to play with the trim color, and right now the only way I know of is to select the trim, then use the callout the change the color and while the color properyt is visible, go and select all the other components. I wonder if there is an easier way.

Jesper

b2.jpg

yes I have already played with the camera a bit, it's pretty cool.

For the clapboard I created a cut library feature and then added the feature to each of the walls and patterned it up a fixed number of copies. Acutally I had to create a right and a left feature, I couldn't figure out how to create just one feature which can be mirrored when attached.

Jesper

mainwall.jpg