Profile, Workspace, cui

khoppcp

We have network licenses of auto cad and also in the past have had a network profile. We just upgraded from 2006 to 2009 and there are so many options now to customize we are having issues with people changing workspaces that then affect everyone in the office. First of all I am not a cad manager just someone in the office that tries to help everyone out so I definatly am not an expert but understand how to alter the cui, etc. However, I do not know how workspaces are linked to profiles. Anyone have any tips on how to deal with an office that some have no interest in customization and some do, and can someone explain to me how profiles and workspaces relate to eachother.

Workspaces & Profiles. Can't put it any better than dei-feif who posted this reply to a similar question at the AutoDesk Discussion Groups on 11-Nov-06:

"A Profile is a set of various user settings, some of which include the current settings for the Main and Enterprise CUI files.

Workspaces are screen layouts, and contain an arrangement of toolbars, menus, and palettes. Workspaces are stored inside of CUI files."

Does that help?

thanks for your reply. I get what each one does but how does a user alter a workspace for themselves without affecting the entire office because everyone is using the same profile? I thought that the workspace should not be related to the profile but I guess I am wrong.

thanks for your reply. I get what each one does but how does a user alter a workspace for themselves without affecting the entire office because everyone is using the same profile? I thought that the workspace should not be related to the profile but I guess I am wrong.

Workspace and Profiles are different. The profile needs to be user-specific as well.

so do you suggest not using a network profile? the problem is everytime someone creates a workspace it shows up in the workspace options for everyone in the office.

so do you suggest not using a network profile? the problem is everytime someone creates a workspace it shows up in the workspace options for everyone in the office.

If everyone uses the same Profile on a network, then the last person who closes AutoCAD saves any changes made to the Profile on the network to what they did last.