House model - best basic approach?

fostertom

Please excuse this basic question. In the past I've built a house by

creating walls, floors, roof plane etc individually as 'solids',

trimming them together where they meet. Is there a better basic way?

like creating the whole exterior surface, like in the elementary

tutorials, and 'shelling' it i.e.adding thickness inward by push-

pull?

it all depends on what functionality you want from the whole when you're finished

you could draw the floorplan, then pull up the height and push through windows etc

do you need internals?

would groupings be of particular use to you?

Yes, proper architectural, internals, potentially everything. I tried last year but found SU6 was v unreliable on my machine - orphan and duplicate lines everywhere, v hard to trace, made layers etc a nightmare. Hoping that SU7 will be better, also before beginning seeing if a different systematic approach to modelling wd be easier. All 'professional' tips and method suggestions are welcome!

While I think that this is a good tutorial and thanks to Boo for posting it I do not agree with all of the lines that Kris added in his model. I am also not keen on tracing over a raster image. If you have a CAD file your results will be better.

Yes, proper architectural, internals, potentially everything. I tried last year but found SU6 was v unreliable on my machine - orphan and duplicate lines everywhere, v hard to trace, made layers etc a nightmare. Hoping that SU7 will be better, also before beginning seeing if a different systematic approach to modelling wd be easier. All 'professional' tips and method suggestions are welcome!

To stop this from happening use your floorplan as a guide an creat new lines to push/pull up into walls.

I agree with you there. I would do things differently but there are many ways and Kris has a good start. Personally I hardly ever even use cad lines as 99% of the time whoever drew them they are not correct, even myself. I prefer to start from scratch most of the time. That or use the cad as an underlay and reference only.

Me too Eric, I only use the cad file for reference only.

Your work I have seen on the SU is very good :)

I agree with you there. I would do things differently but there are many ways and Kris has a good start. Personally I hardly ever even use cad lines as 99% of the time whoever drew them they are not correct, even myself. I prefer to start from scratch most of the time. That or use the cad as an underlay and reference only.