Unfolding a variable radius bend

tuxarut

Hello

I am trying to unfold this part into a flat pattern to be cut. The top radius is 6" and the bottom radius is 4".

I attached a screen shot of the part as well as the solidworks file (rename the .zip extension to .sldprt). I made the solid part, added a variable fillet then shelled what I didn't need. I am unable to unfold it to a flat. If anyone has a better Idea for developing the flat I am open to suggestions. The customer is wanting this asap and I am under the gun. Please help.

untitled.jpg

part.zip

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tuxarut

• shift1313

• stevsmith

• ramsay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what version of solidworks are you using ?

How exactly did you make the part did u make it out of a solid piece then shell it out ?

Tryed opening the zip file but cant open it up ?

Hello

I am trying to unfold this part into a flat pattern to be cut. The top radius is 6" and the bottom radius is 4".

I attached a screen shot of the part as well as the solidworks file (rename the .zip extension to .sldprt). I made the solid part, added a variable fillet then shelled what I didn't need. I am unable to unfold it to a flat. If anyone has a better Idea for developing the flat I am open to suggestions. The customer is wanting this asap and I am under the gun. Please help.

what version of solidworks are you using ?

How exactly did you make the part did u make it out of a solid piece then shell it out ?

Tryed opening the zip file but cant open it up ?

You need to rename the zip extesion to a .sldprt to open in solidworks. I use 2008.

the zip file is corrupt and will not open.

I dont think you can unfold a solidpart unless you are making it in the sheet metal function. That part can't be bent, it needs to be formed so the metal can stretch. Here is an example for you. I drew a solid block and created a variable radius corner, tried to use the convert to sheet metal function and got the error below.

I think what you need to do is create a forming tool and apply it to a sheet metal piece. I dont have any experience with this.

what is the client looking for?

VariRad.jpg

VariRad2.jpg

sorry man but i dont think its possible. I am vairly certain a variable radius sheet metal piece needs to be formed. Im not sure if 08 has forming tools but im pretty sure they do. Does your client need a way to bend this?

so what do you need the flat pattern for? Im just trying to get a feel for what you need. If you were able to flatten that without the metal distortion it wouldnt be your starting piece. you would have a rectangle to start

The top is tapped down so It wouldn't be a rectangle. I am producing the flat to be cut here and bent.

You would not be able to fold that shape in one go.

It would have to be either.

1) folded in several stages to gain a progressive curve (like sq to round ducting only with more folds).

2) a special press and die made specifically for that item (likely to be expensive).

3) moulded (contact corus steel).

You want planes, cylinders or right circular cones. Looks like that fillet could be done with a cone. Shell will not result in a proper sheet metal part on this geometry - the end cuts will not be perpendicular to the flat. When I get a chance I'll work up an example.

I think you are right, the way I drew it will not produce a flat. I will try drawing this without shelling and try some options you guys have thrown out.

i still havent found a way to do it. Maybe lofted bend would get you close but i cant find anything to exactly replicate what you want because i dont think SW cand stretch the metal. ill play with it again when i get the chance

You would not be able to fold that shape in one go.

It would have to be either.

1) folded in several stages to gain a progressive curve (like sq to round ducting only with more folds).

2) a special press and die made specifically for that item (likely to be expensive).

3) moulded (contact corus steel).

You are right, we will be doing what we called bump bending to produce to two radius's.