Optimal monitor for Acad?

jid

Hi all,

I'm working on putting a computer together primarily for use with Acad and 3dsMax, I'm not sure at this point how much photo/image editing I'll want/need to do in programs like Photoshop etc. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 24" monitor and don't want anything bigger, from the reading I've done there are different panel technologies that suit different needs, my question is: What kind of monitor is optimal for use in Autocad? Is it important to invest in one of the pricier s-ips or other type panels with wide colour gamut like the ones recommended for graphic designers and photo editors or can I just take a less expensive TN model?

Thank you in advance

Hi all,

I'm working on putting a computer together primarily for use with Acad and 3dsMax, I'm not sure at this point how much photo/image editing I'll want/need to do in programs like Photoshop etc. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 24" monitor and don't want anything bigger, from the reading I've done there are different panel technologies that suit different needs, my question is: What kind of monitor is optimal for use in Autocad? Is it important to invest in one of the pricier s-ips or other type panels with wide colour gamut like the ones recommended for graphic designers and photo editors or can I just take a less expensive TN model?

Thank you in advance

1st of all, go with an 8-bit and not a 6-bit. The 8-bit monitors are true 16.7 Million color outputs. The lower ones sort of "simulate" this by blending pixels. And DO NOT use a D-Sub 15 pin connector.... get a DVI output video card on the computer and use the cable to suit. Nothing gets under my skin more to buy a $600 monitor to use an analog connection... ugh.

Other than that, the refresh rates obviously matter but once you get the first two things out the way that I just listed, you'll more in the clear on the rest of the specs. 24" would be the smallest I would go, personally. Hope this helps some. :)

I didn't like the wide view monitors at first, now a requirement.

I keep goin' larger, larger, larger. Presently usin' a 36" LCD/TV, DVI input from the PC's video card, 512 mb onboard memory.

Picture by picture, picture by picture, cable TV input.

Always a pleasure to use, easy on the eyes. :roll:

Wall mounted, tilt 'n swivel, saves real estate on the desktop.

30inLCD.JPG

Yes, I don't want to go smaller than 24" but I won't go larger for now, if I start needing more space I'll probably go with a second monitor later on. When I got into building a computer I thought the monitor would be the least complicated thing to decide on, was completely ignorant about the different panel types and that the price difference is so much between them. I think I better invest in a good monitor though like an HP LP2475w

I'm also curious about the Dell 2408WFP, the 2407 I read had lots of issues between revisions that might have been fixed in the 2408.. I don't know though, the site I use for detailed reviews hasn't done this one yet.. I'll do some research

I'll go ask around the 3dmax crowd and see what they think also, what's good enough for 3dMax has got to be good enough for CAD I figure.

Thanks again