I dont understand why people import from SU to CAD?

cvriv.charles

I mean, if you know CAD then why use SU? I was under the impression that CAD is better?

With my personal experience with SU,... I loved it. SU is very smart. Just draw. Where AC you have all these extra key strokes and clicks. It's killing me. I have been reading and tinkering with AC and still havent figured out how to sucessfully draw in 3D using AC.

When I first picked up SU I just started drawing and that was that.

But if your pretty good at AC then why would you need SU?

I dont want to use SU because if I do then I wont continue to learn AC.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• cvriv.charles

• Cad64

• stevsmith

The more programs you learn the more versatile you become. This "added value" becomes important down the road when looked at from the perspective of a future employer.

I understand that but aren't they the same thing except one offers more?

I was using SU before AC and I loved it. I was having some trouble modeling certain things, namely very small things. SU was having trouble generating faces and even some geometry was screwy. I was told that SU was really meant for modeling big stuff like bridges and cities etc. This is why I am trying AC.

So far,... I am really liking SU over AC because of the ease of use. SU is smart when it comes to guessing what it is that you want to do. Where AC you have to tell it exactly what it is you want to do. Working on 1 plane at a time?!?! Forgive me if im wrong. I havent completed the book am reading. But so far it seems that you can really only work on a plane at a time.

For instance,... I can draw a wedge using the wedge tool. But if for whatever reason I want ed to draw it manually,... well, I dont know how at the momemt. I mean I used pline to draw the base because thats on 1 plane. easy. But I could use the pline to draw the slope. I am think I have to rotate the UCS to draw the slope. If thats right,... why should I have to do that?!?! SU lets you draw on any axis anytime.

The only reason I'm learning AC is because a LOT of people use AC and because I was having trouble drawing really small stuff with SU(even after scaling up and then back down).

I learned how to create a face from a closed shape made of lines using the region command. It turn the individual line objects into one polyline and then gives it a face. I havent figured out how to draw a box manually let.

I have not found one tutorial on how to draw something manually. How to draw a box manually. Or what if I had to draw threads manually? I am thinking that I would most likely use the helix tools and then sweet the thread shape up the helix but theres always that what if. I kind of like drawing things manually because it to is a learning process. But there is no place to learn this. Even the book I have Mastering AC 2009 doesnt show me. It even has models already start that I have to finish. Seriously. Im just a bit frustrated.

Some of the coolest thing I made with SU I draw manually. Because it was fun and cool. Watching it come together. I learned by watching tutorials made by other SU members.

Anyways, I was just wondering why a person would jump from SU to AC. Because you can do everything SU can do in AC and you can do almost everything AC can do in SU. I dont know.

If you want to create 3D objects manually, then draw closed polyline shapes and then Extrude them.

Did you watch the video tutorials that I recommended?

I don't know what type of work you are trying to do, but maybe a program like Inventor or Solidworks would be a better fit for you?

If you need a detailed, dimensioned drawing of a machine assembly which would you use, AutoCAD or SketchUp?

If you need a presentation drawing of a single family residence which would you use, AutoCAD or SketchUp?

Each has its place and function. It's up to you to determine which software works best for the intended purpose.

As far as AutoCAD tutorials are concerned there are hundreds out there (both written and video). Put a little effort into finding them (start here at CT).

I started watching the videos you linked me. I had to skip the first too because I didnt care how that guy had his workspace setup. I fond it funny how he was teaching how to use the section plane before anything else. I mean you have to assume the people watching these video dont know how to use AC and therefore dont know how to draw properly. So why teach how to create a section plane before the very basics on how to draw?!?!

I found the 3DPOLY command. Thats enables you to draw on any plane at anytime. Thats more like what I was looking for. When you highlight it the whole thing is selected as a whole. Thats a start. But I had to go back over lines that I already drew to continue the shape. I didn't like that. Made me think there were 2 or 3 lines laying right on top of each other. I tried esc'ing and restarting the 3p command and continuing but the whole object wouldnt select as a whole. I dont know. I'm going to continue reading.

What is SolidWorks geared for?!?! More for mechanical models as in not houses and buildings?!?!

I understand that but aren't they the same thing except one offers more?

To me SU is more like art. One of a kind - not documentation for others to create a real world from the virtual world.

So far,... I am really liking SU over AC because of the ease of use. SU is smart when it comes to guessing what it is that you want to do. Where AC you have to tell it exactly what it is you want to do.

Art vs engineering. Getting out in the real world and building something requires knowledge of exactly what to do or documentation step-by-step. Professional endeavors requiring professional level of preparation.

The only reason I'm learning AC is because a LOT of people use AC...

There are more people with HS diplomas than college. More with BS than MS.... No vanilla AutoCAD here http://engineersrule.org

I have not found one tutorial on how to draw something manually. Or what if I had to draw threads manually?

See the tutorials in my signature. If I recall #4 is on threads.

What is SolidWorks geared for?!?! More for mechanical models as in not houses and buildings?!?!

Like I said before, I don't know what type of models you are trying to create?!?!? I thought you said that you were working on objects that were so small that sketchup couldn't deal with them. That's why I suggested you try some other packages. Now you're talking about houses and buildings? What exactly are you trying to model?

And as for the video tutorials, if you scroll a little further down the page, past the first few tutorials, you will find many more that deal with Autocad's modeling tools and techniques.

Like I said before, I don't know what type of models you are trying to create?!?!? I thought you said that you were working on objects that were so small that sketchup couldn't deal with them. That's why I suggested you try some other packages. Now you're talking about houses and buildings? What exactly are you trying to model?

And as for the video tutorials, if you scroll a little further down the page, past the first few tutorials, you will find many more that deal with Autocad's modeling tools and techniques.

I'm not looking to model houses and building etc. I am looking to model smaller items such as computer hardware, appliances etc. A lot of the detail envolved with this is something SU has trouble with. I was having trouble modeling bolts. Some of the 3D faces of the treads were missing. That and something else I stumbled across, it was a glitch or something. I can't remember exactly what it was but It hink it had to do with scaling up and down. I dont know.

I really don't think I'll end up working for some company designing models. I am doing this for myself. I would like to build my own CNC machines soon. Router, plasma cutter, mill, etc. I want to model stuff to be cut out with these machines. Nothing super fancy like erecting building and such. But know me,... I want the right tool for the job. I like things done right. No shortcuts or half-assing.

Slowly but surely I am understanding AC. What I think the problem is that I'm comparing AC to SU. Because AC isn't as easy as SU was, this is bothering me. And because I feel let down, it's making it harder for me to learn it. I need to just except it.

I downloaded SU so I plan on using it for whatever. I couldnt find a demo for SolidWorks. I fill out their form for a quote and got a call from them. I want to find out about their licenses. What they run in price. Terms etc. You guys have any idea?

Solidworks or Inventor are probably the best fit. But if you find SU easy and AC difficult then you should be prepared for a let down as I think Solidworks or Inventor will be even more of a challenge. JDM can speak directly to that point as I do not use either so I may well be incorrect. Stop looking for the easy way out. If there was one everyone else would already be doing it.

Im not really looking for the easy way out. I am just not understanding how for instance SU lets you draw on any plane with whatever whenever where AC only lets you if you use a 3D shape, or a line, or a 3D polyline. The 3D shapes,... ok. But the line and the polyline and the 3D polyline come on! Why couldnt they just combine the 3 tools into one so we can draw on any axis?!?! 3D polyline. Thats it. You can explode if you need individual line segs. Or have the line and just 3D polyline. This is just an example. It's like a program with 15 million individual tools or commands instead of a program that has less or atleast combined tools/ commands where the program is smarter, and guesses what you are trying to do. "Oh, your trying to draw on the z axis. Ok there you go." Instead of "Oh dude, you got to rotate your UCS. And if you want to come back to that UCS you have to save. To do that you have to go here and her and then there."

You know what I mean? In a way its very good that it's super complicated because thats what keeps everyone from jumping onboard. It's what makes people like you valuable. People dont like SU in the workplace because its so easy that kids can use it to draw pictures. but whatever.

I think you're overstating both points and at the same time beating a dead horse. SU is the computer equivalent of a hand sketched presentation drawing commonly used by architects for public meetings. AutoCAD and its vertical products are used for serious drawings that someone on the shop floor or out in the field is actually going to build off of. There is a BIG difference. Stop trying to wrap your mind around the whys and wherefors of SU vs. AC. You'll just drive yourself and others around you crazy.

Why don't you take a look at some drawings done in various programs like Solidworks, Inventor, and plain AutoCAD and see the difference between them and those done with Sketchup.

... model smaller items such as computer hardware, appliances etc. I was having trouble modeling bolts. I would like to build my own CNC machines soon. Router, plasma cutter, mill, etc. I want to model stuff to be cut out with these machines.

Autodesk Inventor free for students at http://engineersrule.org

(Note: no vanilla AutoCAD there - anyone learning today is learning a next-generation true 3D CAD program)

Inventor LT free (parts only - no assemblies) http://labs.autodesk.com

Contact VAR for trial of SolidWorks (search Google)

or Pro/E

or SolidEdge

You might start with the tutorials in my signature.

These are professional programs and require a professional level of preparation.

I think you're overstating both points and at the same time beating a dead horse. SU is the computer equivalent of a hand sketched presentation drawing commonly used by architects for public meetings. AutoCAD and its vertical products are used for serious drawings that someone on the shop floor or out in the field is actually going to build off of. There is a BIG difference. Stop trying to wrap your mind around the whys and wherefors of SU vs. AC. You'll just drive yourself and others around you crazy.

comparing Autocad to Sketchup is like comparing a gocart with a two stroke engine to a Corvette, sure they both have 4 wheels and a frame, but that is where the similarities end. Autocad and its verticals are very serious programs, they are designed to meet the needs of many different industries. That is why there are soo many options within them. there is 3dpoly lines that allow you to draw in any axis.