Problems with Inserting a Component

MFish

Hello All,

I am having a strange problem inserting a block. The problem I am having is when I use the "Insert Component Menu" to insert the desired block, I get a different block than what I clicked on.

I have attached an example file of the blocks in question. The one on the right is the one that I click on and wish to insert. But the one on the left is the one that I get.

I know that they look very similar and are pretty much rotated 90 degrees, but the attributes are what set them apart the most.

Also something you should know... I added these blocks (along with a lot more) to the original Menu. I know that the path for which AutoCAD uses to find these blocks is correct. That is why I am so baffled on this problem. Perhaps there is something I am overlooking. So any advice or insight is greatly appreciated! :)

Horizontal & Vertical CB.dwg

so does this happen with ALL blocks you created?

can you spot any pattern to the block it's selecting for you instead?

if you don't get a sensible reply to this in the next 24 hrs, gimme a nudge and we'll move it to another forum to see if anybody else can help as we don't have many elec users. We have elec draughters but vanilla seems to be the preference

so does this happen with ALL blocks you created?

can you spot any pattern to the block it's selecting for you instead?

if you don't get a sensible reply to this in the next 24 hrs, gimme a nudge and we'll move it to another forum to see if anybody else can help as we don't have many elec users. We have elec draughters but vanilla seems to be the preference

It doesn't happen with any of the other blocks I created except for another style circuit breaker. And it does the same thing.

The pattern I can see is that the example I posted previously is for an IEC circuit breaker. And it always inserts the one on the left. Well there is another style circuit breaker called the NEMA circuit breaker. It has the same two blocks one is just rotated 90 degrees from the other just like the IEC. And if I posted an example of the NEMA ones, it would always insert the NEMA verticle standing circuit breaker.

Short of removing them from the menu and putting them back on to see what happens, I just can't imagine what would be causing it to happen.

I do appreciate your help, I understand Electrical is a different animal compared to vanilla :)

Hi MFish,

I feel your pain. I've made a lot of symbols and footprints and have experienced what you are experiencing so I'm hoping I can help you.

I don't totally understand how this all works but this is how I have done to make it work. I make the symbol, and use WBLOCK and insert it into my template dwg. I then make the icon for the menu using the block I just inserted. Then when I make a change to that block I use BEDIT but I don't think there's a way to add attributes in BEDIT. If I close the editor and save my changes and insert a new symbol from the Insert Component, I will get the old symbol. I have to insert the symbol on a new dwg to get the changes. This is also true if you insert the symbol, explode it and make changes and do a save as when you turn it into a WBLOCK.

If I need to add attributes I just insert the block on a new drawing not in a project and I explode then remake the symbol using the symbol builder to add the attributes.

There have been times where nothing I do allows me to get the symbol with the changes so I explode, redo the symbol and name it a different name. I can then get my new symbol.

Another thing I would suggest is to double check the block name of your symbol by going to Insert Component, then go to the symbol you want and hover over the symbol. You should see the block name and then you can make sure the icon on the menu is pointing to the correct block.

I hope this helps.

I will give it a shot probably tomorrow... Currently I am starting a new project and of course it needs to be done pronto.

Nothin like twiddling the thumbs, and then told to hurry up all the sudden because they didn't allow enough time! :)

Hi MFish,

I don't totally understand how this all works but this is how I have done to make it work. I make the symbol, and use WBLOCK and insert it into my template dwg. I then make the icon for the menu using the block I just inserted. Then when I make a change to that block I use BEDIT but I don't think there's a way to add attributes in BEDIT. If I close the editor and save my changes and insert a new symbol from the Insert Component, I will get the old symbol. I have to insert the symbol on a new dwg to get the changes. This is also true if you insert the symbol, explode it and make changes and do a save as when you turn it into a WBLOCK.

If I need to add attributes I just insert the block on a new drawing not in a project and I explode then remake the symbol using the symbol builder to add the attributes.

I hope this helps.

It did help! I just had to redo the ones I was having problems with. All I can think of is somehow the definitions for each block were interlocked. So when I started fresh with them it cleaned, whatever was causing the problem, out.

Thank you very much for your help!! :)

• 1 month later...

I know you posted that you solved your problem, I'm trying to learn to create symbols and saw your post. Your circuit breaker is the first symbol I have worked with.

According to the book I've got open in front of me, AutoCAD defaults to the horizontal "but you can force a vertical by selecting the vertical check box on the insert component dialog box."

Glen