Automatically save renders

cadboi08

Sorry another general question, how can I set max up to automatically save renders one after the other to a folder? At the moment it saves the first one fine, but then I have to rename to save again.

I'd like to save as say

render-1.bmp

render-2.bmp

render-3.bmp

etc.

Cheers

I've moved this question to it's own thread.

You should always start a new thread when you have a question.

I don't know of any way to do this automatically. Maybe with a Script?

Is there a way to save images in Max and rename them? At the moment it saves one fine, then I have to rename to save another one.

Thanks

I don't know about Vray, but with Mental Ray, I just render to window and then hit the Save button to save to a directory. Once I save that first file, any subsequent renders default to that save location, so all I do is hit the save button, select the previously rendered file and add a -1 or -2 or whatever. No need to retype the filename.

As I said before, I think the only way to automate this would be with a Script.

I've merged your two threads, since they seem to be asking the same question.

Ah ok. I didn't realize the other one had been moved. Thought the posts were just deleted.

I don't know about Vray, but with Mental Ray, I just render to window and then hit the Save button to save to a directory. Once I save that first file, any subsequent renders default to that save location, so all I do is hit the save button, select the previously rendered file and add a -1 or -2 or whatever. No need to retype the filename.

As I said before, I think the only way to automate this would be with a Script.

Ok thanks. I remember doing this (auto saving/renaming images) a while ago but I think that was in Rhino. There must be an easier way, but maybe not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Are you rendering different frames for an animation? What is the end result you are looking for?

Hi. No, for that it's fine. It saves all the images with a -# as they're rendered automatically.

The problem is I sometimes render lot's of images, very often, and want to save them all. The problem with max, however, is that every time the image is rendered and I want to save the image it uses the same filename, so I have to either overwrite the previous (which I don't want to do) or rename the file (which, when doing many renders becomes a bit tedious, having to change the number at the end for each one).

It would be great if I could somehow automatically save images once they're rendered to a new filename (ie. image-1, image-2, etc. . .) or at least when I hit the save button it saves the image without overwriting the previous. I just want to save time as it gets a bit annoying when I have to rename 100 images in an hour.