AutoCad User and Solid works

madriver

I was sent some drawings (part drawings w/ 3D) that I think were created in Solidworks or Inventor (not sure which) it is a dwg file. Anyway, I am using Acad2000 and when I open the file there is no line work, both in model and paper space. Is there a problem in that Acad2000 cannot read Solidworks files? Also, I have download a genltshp.shx file to load the file in question, but still no line work.

Thanks for any help.

BA

Solidworks can export drawings as dwg or dxf but this is not the native file type(nor is it for inventor). Once exported, it is what it is. I have had issues with using acis files and not seeing anything in autocad.

Are these files you can upload and see if others can view them? do you only have a dwg file or do you have other formats of the same file as well?

they were sent to me as dwg files. Interestingly the original dwg was 5,361kb, but the saved as 2000 dwg file was 33,639kb. I don't know what program originated the file. But it is a dwg file that was sent to me. The client that sent it has no cad capability and cannot view the dwg file. He does have pdf files of the drawings.

Have you tried to open it with anything else, such as 'edrawings?

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm

In the worst case you could always have the client send you the .pdf's and convert them into a different format so that you could at least use it in acad.

If the file(s) are to big then let him use it something like 'yousendit.com'

If the client has the original files, may they be inventor or solidworks, then request them. Chances are that you'll be able to view them and or convert them by means of the viewer I mentioned earlier or to find one that does.