When someone want access to DWG files

SuperCAD

We've got a project coordinator who want access to our DWG files, and has apparently set up the now-vacant CAD computer (laid off one of our people) so he can open AutoCAD and get into the DWGs. I have a huge problem with this since drafting isn't part of his job, and I'm ultimately the one responsible for all drawings that get submitted to the production crews.

Not to mention the fact that it's hard enough to share what little work we have now between us three remaining CAD members. If he starts doing his own drawings or makes his own changes, that means I'm going to have to let another person go since he'll be taking that work away from us.

Other than doing the work himself or making a change on the fly without anyone knowing about it, I can't figure out why he would need access to the DWG files. There are two very good programs he can use to view DWF and DWG files available that would keep him from making changes. The first being Autodesk's Design Review and the other one was made by Solidworks (can open native DWG files).

My supervisor was out sick today, but I will be talking with him about it as soon as he's available.

How would you handle this?

Seems I would handle this the same way you are, going to superiors and voicing your concerns. I too would have a problem with someone not versed in CAD opening the files and fiddling about in them.

The project coordinator has every right to see the drawing files. He just doesn't have the right to edit them or to start creating his own. Therefore, any software you set him up with should be for viewing purposes only. Maybe a redlining feature wouldn't hurt as long as it is understood, by him, that any changes he asks for will have to be discussed and then done by a real CAD tech.

Therefore, any software you set him up with should be for viewing purposes only. Maybe a redlining feature wouldn't hurt...

That's why I want him to use Autodesk's Design Review software. He can redline it until his arm cramps up, but he won't be able to modify the actual drawing. He can even pull any dimension he wants off of the DWF file. If all he wants to do is "see" the drawings, this should be a good enough option.

You could set up the spare computer with edrawings, a viewer that is simple to use and has markup facilities. It will enable him to open the dwg file (which save you time printing to dwf) and add comments without any drawing alteration. (basically its similar to dwf, in a way)

We did this for a couple of our project managers and have regretted it each and every single day since!!! They claimed they needed access if we were out of the office for meetings or site visits (which happens about 3 times a month). We tried the plan ahead strategy but got tired of arguing with them and granted them access as read only. Then the problems started: How do you print? How come I cant see the duct? How come your screen is black and mine is white? so on and so forth ad naseum. In short if you are not a CAD Monkey KEEP OUT!!

Set all files to read-only. Then at the very least, they can't inadvertently change something they aren't suppose to and save it.

Offer to make prints of drawings they need to view and have they sign a sheet so you know who has which drawings.

If they need a drawing created, make sure they know you'll need at least a sketch of what needs done.

I've done all this and still have a supervisor that likes to edit drawings on his own, which I'll eventually have to fix. I'm the only CAD person here at my work. :(

The group of people who are not supposed to EDIT certain files are put into a security group that doesn't have WRITE access to those files. The technical side is very simple. The political side may be more difficult...

The group of people who are not supposed to EDIT certain files are put into a security group that doesn't have WRITE access to those files. The technical side is very simple. The political side may be more difficult...

very good point

I'd want belt and braces on this

non-CAD bods having access to your dwgs just because they think they can use AutoCAD coz their mate gave them a hooky copy of 14 to play with at home could cost the company thousands in the long run

If anybody is going to have access I'd want a method of monitoring WHO has been in a file, besides ensuring they don't have editing rights

the next thing you'll have issues with though is them doing is saving to a new file and doing their own edits, so there's unapproved paper copies floating about with YOUR title blocks on them :x

• 9 months later...

Oh, dear. I've been fighting tooth and nail to keep those muppets away from *.dwgs.

According to some of our sales team they'd "do their own drawing IF they had the software". I've got vault up and running now (on a seperate server) so the only drawings they can 'see' is published DWFX's and PDFs.

There is a problem with opening DWFX's though, as each file opens an instance of the program, on their machines and it takes an eternity(so I can understand their reluctance to use Design Review), so they use the PDFs.

I publish both, and put both in our O&M manuals, on the basis that DWFX's are more versatile and better quality for dwgs.

Our Director remarked recently that the dwgs were missing from the main server, to which I replied that "this is how it is now" with the 'new' software. He gave a me a funny look, as he's been using TrueView to open the dwgs.

SuperCAD:

How did this end up?

Inquiring minds need to know. :shock:

This used to drive me crazy when I managed the IT for an architectural firm. We had one partner that felt he had to have access to drawings, nevermind he had no clue what to do with them and frankly was/is dumb as a box of rocks.

One of the higher ups took the CAD computer because it was "more powerful" than what she was using (she doesn't really like it when someone else has something better than her). Then we had to let one more CAD user go, so we were down to two people and three computers. The third computer was in the CAD room, and the person in question was allowed to create/modify his own drawings as long as he did so according to our standards and I had to review his drawings for accuracy and such.

That only lasted about a month until he convinced my supervisor that he should have the CAD computer in his office, away from the CAD dungeon. After the computer was moved, it all went down hill but we weren't aware of the ramifications until AFTER he left the company (he wasn't fired, he just found another job).

When he was coming in to the CAD room to work, I was at least able to see what he was doing and when he was working on something. When the computer got moved, I wasn't aware of a majority of the work that he was doing since he never told me about it. To make a long story short, he got real lazy and sloppy with his CAD work and only did the bare minimum to push out a drawing. When a change was needed, he didn't change the CAD file and only changed his cut lists and order sheets.

Now we're trying to get some orders together and we're seeing just how bad he F'd things up. Drawings don't match the orders; orders don't match the quotes; there are no notes anywhere to show what the customer approved so we look like idiots going back to them to ask questions they already answered.

This will not happen under my watch again.

One of the higher ups took the CAD computer because it was "more powerful" than what she was using (she doesn't really like it when someone else has something better than her). Then we had to let one more CAD user go, so we were down to two people and three computers. The third computer was in the CAD room, and the person in question was allowed to create/modify his own drawings as long as he did so according to our standards and I had to review his drawings for accuracy and such.

That only lasted about a month until he convinced my supervisor that he should have the CAD computer in his office, away from the CAD dungeon. After the computer was moved, it all went down hill but we weren't aware of the ramifications until AFTER he left the company (he wasn't fired, he just found another job).

When he was coming in to the CAD room to work, I was at least able to see what he was doing and when he was working on something. When the computer got moved, I wasn't aware of a majority of the work that he was doing since he never told me about it. To make a long story short, he got real lazy and sloppy with his CAD work and only did the bare minimum to push out a drawing. When a change was needed, he didn't change the CAD file and only changed his cut lists and order sheets.

Now we're trying to get some orders together and we're seeing just how bad he F'd things up. Drawings don't match the orders; orders don't match the quotes; there are no notes anywhere to show what the customer approved so we look like idiots going back to them to ask questions they already answered.

This will not happen under my watch again.

Thanks for the update!

Worthy of being quoted and clearly a thread worth printing out and showing to your bosses when this situation arises again, as we all know it will.

I worked in a CE firm when I was in school and there was a clear distinction between design and drafting (early 1970s), but I'm betting that broke down when CAD hit the scene.

After a stint in construction following graduation, I found a job in architecture and have been here ever since. Architects always tend to use cub architects as drafters and the advent of CAD freed up folks to start their own firms, rather than work for large firms.

The overhead is so low for architects that many start their own firms because they learned CAD in school and spent time on the boards, so to speak, while getting time in required for registration.

Even with that understanding ... we had some that should not even be trusted with a crayola, nevermind CAD.

My sig quote applies ...