read only

chelsea1307

is there a way to track which computer is making changes to dwgs on a network?

we have an engineer who was hired as an engineer/drafter, pretty much meaning he can design the system and then draw it himself, it still gets checked by another person but he does the work, except he doesnt really know autocad and usually ends up causing more problems then he fixes. I vote to take away his autocad and give him tru view or something similar but no one agrees with me. Someone said in another thread that there is a way to make dwgs read only for certain computers can anyone explain more on this

is there a way to track which computer is making changes to dwgs on a network?

Generally speaking, just look at the "Owner" column in Windows Explorer, although you can't rely on this 100% of the time.

owner.png

there is a way to make dwgs read only for certain computers can anyone explain more on this

Remove WRITE access to the DWGS for that user. Preferably by adding that user to the proper AD group rather than apply user-specific permissions to a object (directory, share, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
we have an engineer who was hired as an engineer/drafter, pretty much meaning he can design the system and then draw it himself, it still gets checked by another person but he does the work, except he doesnt really know autocad and usually ends up causing more problems then he fixes. I vote to take away his autocad and give him tru view or something similar but no one agrees with me. Someone said in another thread that there is a way to make dwgs read only for certain computers can anyone explain more on this

Well it sounds to make sense to do as you suggest (take away AutoCAD, give him TrueView) or as RK suggests (take away write privileges) but then what?

How is he going to do any design or drafting he was hired to do. I think after the design or drafting he did has been checked then lock down the drawing in some fashion, making it read only or move it to an archive location.

If you still have an interest in tracking the history of the drawing my software CadTempo can show you who accessed the drawing and when.

so i found out the reason no one wanted to go through the effort of messing with write privladges or taking acad off his comp, he was fired last week, not due to the economy but becasue of his work, so the problem is now resolved. but thanks for all the advice