installation of 2009 on 64 bit vista

kiang

My Autocad 2009 installation DVD says "For Windows Vista (32-bit, 64-bit); etc..." and yet my new Vista 64-bit computer will not allow the install to proceed. I get the message "you cannot install this product on the current operating system"...what should I do? I assumed that my installation DVD had both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on it.

About 10 minutes ago i just installed 09 as well on Vista, please read the following, and note especially the text i have put in Red for you, hope this helps

Before you install your product on a stand-alone computer, make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.

Whether the Windows operating system is the 32-bit or the 64-bit version is automatically detected when installing AutoCAD. The appropriate version of AutoCAD will be installed. The 32-bit version of AutoCAD cannot be installed on a 64-bit version of Windows.

See the following table for hardware and software requirements.

Hardware and software requirements

Hardware/Software

Requirement

Notes

Operating system

32-Bit

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2

Windows XP Home, Service Pack 2

64-Bit

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows XP Professional

It is recommended that non-English language versions of AutoCAD be installed on an operating system with a user interface language that matches the code page of the AutoCAD language. A code page provides support for character sets used in different languages.

Web browser

32-bit

Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or later 64-bit

Internet Explorer 7.0 or later

You cannot install AutoCAD if Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 with Service Pack 1 (or later) is not installed on the installation workstation. You can download Internet Explorer from the Microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

Processor

32-bit

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or AMD® Athlon, 2.2 GHz or greater

or

Intel or AMD Dual Core processor, 1.6 GHz or greater

64-bit

AMD 64 or Intel EM64T

RAM

32-bit

1 GB (Windows XP SP2)

2 GB or greater (Windows Vista)

64-bit

2 GB

Graphics card

1280 x 1024 32-bit color video display adapter (True Color) 128 MB or greater, OpenGL®, or Direct3D® capable workstation class graphics card.

For Windows Vista, a Direct3D capable workstation class graphics card with 128 MB or greater is required1024 x 768 VGA with True Color (minimum)

• Requires a Windows-supported display adapter.
  • For graphic cards that support Hardware Acceleration, DirectX 9.0c, or later, must be installed.
  • Installing from the ACAD.msi file does not install DirectX 9.0c, or later. Manual installation of DirectX is required, in this circumstance, for Hardware Acceleration to be configured.

Hard disk

750 MB for instllation (Windows XP SP2)

2 GB available not including installation (Windows Vista)

Pointing device

Mouse, trackball, or other device

DVD/CD-ROM

Any speed (for installation only)

32-bit

Download (ESD) and installation from DVD or CD-ROM

64-bit

Download or DVD

Optional hardware

Printer or plotter

Digitizer

Modem or access to an Internet connection

Network interface card

Additional recommendations for 3D use

Hardware/Software

Requirement

Notes

Operating system

32-Bit

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2

Windows XP Home, Service Pack 2

64-Bit

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Business

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows XP Professional

It is recommended that non-English language versions of AutoCAD be installed on an operating system with a user interface language that matches the code page of the AutoCAD language. A code page provides support for character sets used in different languages.

Whether the Windows operating system is the 32-bit or the 64-bit version is automatically detected when installing AutoCAD. The appropriate version of AutoCAD will be installed. The 32-bit version of AutoCAD cannot be installed on a 64-bit version of Windows.

Processor

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or AMD® Athlon, 2.2 GHz or greater

or

Intel or AMD Dual Core processor, 1.6 GHz or greater

RAM

2 GB (or greater)

Graphics card

1280 x 1024 32-bit color video display adapter (True Color) 128 MB or greater, OpenGL®, or Direct3D® capable workstation class graphics card.

For Windows Vista, a Direct3D capable workstation class graphics card with 128 MB or greater is required1024 x 768 VGA with True Color (minimum)

• For graphic cards that support Hardware Acceleration, DirectX 9.0c, or later, must be installed.
  • Installing from the ACAD.msi file does not install DirectX 9.0c, or later. Manual installation of DirectX is required, in this circumstance, for Hardware Acceleration to be configured.

For more information about tested and certified graphics cards, visit http://www.autodesk.com/autocad-graphicscard

Hard disk

2 GB (in addition to the 1 GB or above required for installation)

NoteAdobe Flash Player is no longer installed by default. If a suitable version of Flash is not currently installed on your system, a message is displayed requesting that you download it from Adobe’s website. If you do not have Internet access, you can also access the Flash installer on the AutoCAD product media.

thank you for the quick reply. However, my system meets all requirements and I am still unable to install from the DVD.

thank you for the quick reply. However, my system meets all requirements and I am still unable to install from the DVD.

did you copy the dvd to your computer 1st then install it???.....as that is the only way i could get it to work :)

Some DVD's, and I'm not sure why this is, contain only the 32-bit version of the program. A DVD with the 64-bit version has to be specifically requested.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me why it was suggested that I run the 64 bit Windows for Autocad? Would the 32 bit work fine?

For nearly every Autodesk product, if you have a 64bit OS - you can only install the 64bit version of the software. Thus, 64bit OSs must install the 64bit version of Autocad.

Are the new versions of Autocad only coming out 64bit or do they provide both options?

Im harping on this because I am buying a desktop in the new week or so and need to know what the best options will be. I dont want to get a 32bit system if its going to be outdated and unusable in the near future

32 bit systems are already outdated. If you're going to buy a new computer, then stay current with the technology and get a 64 bit system. And go with Vista 64. XP64 is a dead OS. Or, if you can wait a few months, you can get the new Windows 7 OS, which will be replacing Vista. According to PCWorld, it's supposedly going to be released in October?