Cad 2009 Sucks!

michaeloureiro

I´ve always been open to change, but the "new" version of Cad is just annoying.

Cad has been the standard and it has influenced our work habits for decades. Change for the sake of change doesn´t convince me.

Any comments?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Danny

• rkmcswain

• ReMark

• TigerByTheTail

I hated the ribbon when I first started using 09.

I perservered with it for a while and customised it to benefit me better.

Now I actually wouldnt want to go back to 08.

I too found the Ribbon to be an annoyance in 2009. I opted to design my own which AutoCAD doesn't make easy (this gets better in 2010). Hang in there. Your frustration will pass in due time.

The only good thing i found was that there is a command for copying text from model space to paper space, scaling appropriatley and vise-versa. Shame im not competent enough with VLISP yet to replicate that kind of command :(

Z

• 3 months later...

If you're struggling with the ribbons, switch to the classic mode. You'll still have all the tools, but with the older menu look. In LT 2010, down in the lower right corner, switch to AutoCAD LT Classic. Not sure where it is in your version.

I tried working with the ribbons in LT 2010 for a few weeks, and finally went to classic mode. Might try the ribbons again later on...like 2020.

If you're struggling with the ribbons, switch to the classic mode. You'll still have all the tools, but with the older menu look. In LT 2010, down in the lower right corner, switch to AutoCAD LT Classic. Not sure where it is in your version.

I tried working with the ribbons in LT 2010 for a few weeks, and finally went to classic mode. Might try the ribbons again later on...like 2020.

thanks tiger, will try

I tend to stick to classic mode with 2009 :)

although i really would like to get used to the ribbons, i just cant get round to trying it.

maybe now the work is going dry i'll have more time!

I hated the ribbon when I first started using 09.

I perservered with it for a while and customised it to benefit me better.

Now I actually wouldnt want to go back to 08.

Go back to 08. The ribbon is one of many problems with 09 and 10. We have all three at work and I refuse to work with autocad 09 or 10.

i found the ribbon a bit clunky, but gave it a try. the only reason i abandoned it was the cui editor kept crashing when i was trying to create custom ribbons, etc.

2010 c3d is very ribbon oriented, so i'll be using it, regardless of how i feel.

there's no reason to get upset though, "menubar" will turn on the pulldowns and you can still use toolbars.

Here is some more help on "getting things back to normal"...

http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/2008/03/27/autocad-2009-putting-things-back-to-normal/

Thanks for the link, However I tend to agree with the 90% of replies to that post in regards to FIX THE OLD ONE BEFORE YOU START MAKING NEW ONES :shock: Most people don't want change or don't have the time to change. 09 had its problem since day one, now 10 is out with the same old problem plus a few extras to boot. Sorry i'm an 08 guy at least for another few years. I don't have the time. (Knock on wood) :unsure:...:wink:

Thanks for the link, However I tend to agree with the 90% of replies to that post in regards to FIX THE OLD ONE BEFORE YOU START MAKING NEW ONES :shock: Most people don't want change or don't have the time to change. 09 had its problem since day one, now 10 is out with the same old problem plus a few extras to boot. Sorry i'm an 08 guy at least for another few years. I don't have the time. (Knock on wood) :unsure:...:wink:

thank microsoft, they're the ones that started the ribbon.

thank microsoft, they're the ones that started the ribbon.

I agree, MS is a whole other thread, however Autodesk in my opinion has its hands in to many places. I understand CGI programs for gaming / movies are the big money maker nowadays. I just think there quality is dropping because they are too stretched out. A company that wants to be a jack of all trades is going to have to eventually cut corners somewhere.

I agree, MS is a whole other thread, however Autodesk in my opinion has its hands in to many places. I understand CGI programs for gaming / movies are the big money maker nowadays. I just think there quality is dropping because they are too stretched out. A company that wants to be a jack of all trades is going to have to eventually cut corners somewhere.

oh, no, i just meant Microsoft was the one to introduce the ribbon craze.

however, i do agree with you.

I just think there quality is dropping because they are too stretched out. A company that wants to be a jack of all trades is going to have to eventually cut corners somewhere.

I disagree. I don't think it has anything to do with the number of programs they have. If managed properly, they could have twice as many programs and still put out a quality product. The problem is that they keep trying to rush these upgraded versions out before they're ready. If they took the time to really test them and work out the kinks before release, we would have far fewer problems and people wouldn't be so reluctant to upgrade.

I disagree. I don't think it has anything to do with the number of programs they have. If managed properly, they could have twice as many programs and still put out a quality product. The problem is that they keep trying to rush these upgraded versions out before they're ready. If they took the time to really test them and work out the kinks before release, we would have far fewer problems and people wouldn't be so reluctant to upgrade.

Not taking or having the time to get the bugs out before release, means in essence, there stretched out. IMHO if a program has bugs and or glitches its not completed. So I do agree with you they are undermanned or not properly managed. Hence quality is put second to quantity. For what reason, The all mighty $, more programs means more $, more bugs means more patches and support.

End result Autodesk Takes over the world !!!! :P

While bugs can be expectedin a program with millions of lines of code some of the problem users tend to face are merely self-inflicted.

I agree with all of this but recently the patch that was released for 2010 seems to have fixed majority of the bugs that were affecting my experience with C3D in my revised "classic" mode. I as well hate the ribbon therefore i am not using it with C3D 2010 and im having no problems with the latest patch so although 2010 is very ribbon oriented i can confirm that using the menubar and, what little of them i use, toolbars still keeps me... content with the upgrades. However, with the first release of 2010 and no patches yet i was having a hell of a time working with C3D and if it wasnt fixed with the first patch i was planning on going back to 09 where all my files ran just fine.

Not taking or having the time to get the bugs out before release, means in essence, there stretched out. IMHO if a program has bugs and or glitches its not completed. So I do agree with you they are undermanned or not properly managed. Hence quality is put second to quantity. For what reason, The all mighty $, more programs means more $, more bugs means more patches and support.

End result Autodesk Takes over the world !!!! :P

by your word, there is NO program that is completed. Bugs are very hard to trouble shoot and fix. they most of the time cause other bugs somewhere in the program. No program is bug free.

I remember the days of having to watch my dad "debug" his programs by printing up the program and sorting through it line by line.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I don't think they are undermanned and I don't think they are poorly managed. When I said "managed properly", I was referring to the programs themselves, not the programmers or the supervisors or anyone involved with the production of the programs. I just feel Autodesk is not managing their product line sensibly and they are releasing these programs too soon. They should spend more time working out some of the kinks instead of just trying to hit the March deadline every year.

Release the programs when they're ready, not because of a date on the calendar.