Programme not responding

bananafingers

when i try to open a drawing using either the file drop down menu or the icon on screen the programme freezes and i have to close it using task manager.

However i can open a drawing by double clicking it from my computer. The save and save as commands from the file drop down menu also freezes the programme. This has only started within the last month.

I am using CAD2004 and assumed that reloading the programme would solve any problems so I have loaded CAD2009 in the meantime and the same problem is occuring with that. All the drop down menu commands work fine in other problems, the problem seems to be isolated to CAD.

Anyone ever come accross this before and have you any ideas for solutions??

Are you working on a standalone computer or connected to a network?

Are both products up-to-date with their respective service packs?

What happened one month ago? Did you change hardware or software?

Have you tried the Repair option?

Have you checked to make sure the paths to your drawing files is correct?

its a stand alone computer, service packs should be ok as i loaded 2009 only today. I ran the repair option but it hasn't made any difference. I'm certain its not the file path as i don't even get a chance to select a file. It literally freezes as soon as i click on new, open, save or save as. The print options all still work in the drop down menus. The only software i've loaded in the last few months is norton 360 and i can't remember whether it coincided with this problem arising. No other programme is affected. Seems unusual that the same problem is affecting 2004 and 2009. Makes me think its a computer problem and not a CAD problem but can't figure out why it is only affecting CAD.

even if you loaded 09 today you should install the service packs, they are there to fix bugs and quirks that show after the release of the product. Check the hot fixes too, one might describe your problem