3d plants/trees in autocad

hay123

Hi,

I have been using ACad for about 10 years, but have mostly drawn in 2D. I am more or less a novice with 3D.

I have seen alot of drawings from programs like REVIT that have really great trees & plants. Is it possible to get realistic planting in 3D Acad drawings?

Can anyone shed some light? Am I missing something, or are plants limited to box like shapes.....

thanks

Hay123

im a novice with 3d too so i got a few examples of 3d drawings to help me out and one of them has trees in it. i'll attach it for you. don't know if its realistic enough for you though.

CADMASTER is the guy to ask. he gave me some tutorials to help me with 3D

-Steven

We have a tutorial here at CT about drawing a 3D tree. Did you check it out?

I've come across a couple of websites that have 3D trees drawn with AutoCAD. I would think these really shouldn't be too involved as a multitude of 3D trees in an AutoCAD drawing might be a drag on system resources when rendering. Anyone here have personal experience with something like that?

Yes, adding 3D plants and trees to your scenes will increase your file size and can become quite a draw on system resources. They also increase render times significantly. There are company's, like Bionatics, that provide great looking 3D plant material that can be used in Autocad and Autocad Architecture 2008 and up. With these plants, you can adjust their level of detail quite easily, so that when you're working, they just look like a typical RPC flat plane object basically, so they don't slow down your work. But when you are ready to render, you just switch the L.O.D. back up to full 3D and render away.

They don't have a plug-in for Map 3D 2006 though.

There are the RPC plants and trees from Archvision.com as well. If you are on subscription, Autodesk has made several hundred RPC's available to you for free.

i'll add up to bionatics, here is an example render with bionatics 3d tree.

if your interested you can download the plug-in in the link that mr. cad64 post.http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36961:D

Thanks for all your replys,

I have seen the 3d tree tutorial, and went on to try & create a few of my own with a bit more trunck/branches/leaf detail. These definatly increased file size, and didn't look that great anyway.

The bionatics stuff looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

First thing Monday, I will be blowing off all urgent jobs, and spending half a morning playing with my new trees.

Thanks Again...

Thanks for all your replys,

I have seen the 3d tree tutorial, and went on to try & create a few of my own with a bit more trunck/branches/leaf detail. These definatly increased file size, and didn't look that great anyway.

The bionatics stuff looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

First thing Monday, I will be blowing off all urgent jobs, and spending half a morning playing with my new trees.

Thanks Again...

Test the trees first, I had major problems with them trying to render, which is why I use the RPC trees now.

As I said. 3D trees can be a heavy draw on resources, so you will need a pretty decent machine if you're planning on rendering scenes with lots of foliage. If you have a low end machine, it may take several hours or even days to render a scene. Or your machine may just run out of memory and shut down the program.

It's very important to analyze your scene and determine where you will need to use full 3D plants and where you can get away with using RPC's or just simple flat planes with an image of a tree, or trees, mapped onto it. You want to preserve system resources as much as possible, but still achieve a realistic rendering in the least amount of time. If you fill your scene entirely with 3D plants, you will have a hard time working on your scene and your render times will take an eternity. But if you balance out your scene and place 3D plants only where you absolutely need them, up close to the camera, and then use RPC's and flat image planes everywhere else, middle ground and background, you will have a much easier time working and render times will be substantially less.

Bionatics plants are great because they allow you to choose the level of detail you need for each tree without needing a second plug-in. RPC's don't give you that option. They are what they are. But you should definitely try out each option and decide for yourself which one is right for you.

But whether you choose Bionatics or RPC, you will need to upgrade your software. I don't see plug-ins on either of their websites for anything earlier than Autocad 2008. You may have to contact them directly and ask if they have a plug-in for 2006.

Thanks for the advise. I haven't updated profile details for a while. I'm now running 2010. My machine is not the greatest though, which probably explains why my renderes take so long.

Didn't get a chance today to look at the Bionatics stuff, but will hopfully do next week. Will do a bit of research on RPC's & flat planes with image also.

I have to say, I love this forum. I would never have found out this stuff on my own.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...