What version of Autocad could run on this?

CadDan

Well, I was wondering if any version of autocad could run on the following specs of the 10 year old computer:

2.39GHZ Intel Celeron

768MB of RAM

You might be able to run anything right up to 2007. Are you thinking of trying to run Arch 2008 on it? Is this a desktop? I would certainly look at boosting the RAM a bit. What OS is on the computer at this time? Will you be changing that to something else?

I would find a used P4 chip, up the ram to 2 gb and get a good video card (AGP if it has a slot)and Arch 2008 should run fine. Yeah get XP pro on it if it does not have it but I guess XP home would work too.

You might be able to run anything right up to 2007. Are you thinking of trying to run Arch 2008 on it? Is this a desktop? I would certainly look at boosting the RAM a bit. What OS is on the computer at this time? Will you be changing that to something else?

I was thinking about running Arc 08 on it, yes. It is a desktop. The OS currently on this is XP Pro SP2

I would find a used P4 chip, up the ram to 2 gb and get a good video card (AGP if it has a slot)and Arch 2008 should run fine. Yeah get XP pro on it if it does not have it but I guess XP home would work too.

I have XP Pro already on it. I honestly don't know if upping the RAM on this old of a machine would be worth it.

Do you have the specs on the graphics card?

I do not know what the graphics card on this comp is as I never messed around with it. It was given to me by a buddy when it was in it's prime. This computer has been gutted, torn down, built up so many different times it's hard to keep track of what's in there. But it hasn't been changed in a long while.

A memory upgrade would not be all that expensive on a computer that old. You could check on eBay and probably find some very good deals.

It would be benefical to you, considering the software you plan on running, to check into the specifics of the graphics card. An AGP card upgrade would be rather cheap as newer computers now use PCIe graphics cards. An 8X AGP would be the way to go. Maybe consider 128MB vidRAM unless you can find one with 256MB.

Found out it's PCI. Searched for things that would work for the comp. Came up with 2GB (1GB just get two) and a 128mb evga card all for about $86 not bad.

PCI graphics card? Are you sure? PCI graphics cards were put in low end systems on motherboards that did not have an AGP slot. The AGP slot provided a separate pipeline to run the graphics display independent of the CPU so it required less resources. I also believe an AGP card did not require a dedicated IRQ. Do you have a make/model number of this computer?

It's a Dell Dimension 2400. But I talked to the guy that owned this before me and he said it was PCI. So who knows if it's PCI or AGP.

Dell Dimension 2400 specs. Found these online.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-2400-pentium/4507-3118_7-30824846.html

Note that it mentions integrated graphics meaning the system used an onboard graphics chip and not a graphics card when it was sold. Someone could have disabled the onboard chip and installed a PCI graphics card since there would not have been an AGP slot to begin with.

The system will be less-than-desireable for running 2008 AutoDesk products.

Autocad 07 would work fine because it only need like 500 mb right? Either way I plan on upgrading this computer and giving it to the parents after I get a laptop.

Given the capacity of hard drives even ten years ago I don't think the size of the program (500MB) is really much of a factor in anything I can think of.

You want a reasonably fast computer with a decent amount of RAM to run your OS, your anti-virus program, AutoCAD and maybe one other program all at the same time. And you want half-way decent graphics. Beyond that what more are you looking for?