ACAD 2010 how to back up license?

veinsilk

recently were using Acad 2009,now were using Acad 2010 is there anyway to backup its license?coz in Acad 09 I can back it up then reformat ,then paste the liscense file again and its work fine again together it period time.tnx in advance

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• veinsilk

• rkmcswain

• tzframpton

all I just see is a liscense transfer utility,also in acad 09 I dont use portable liscense I just copy were the liscense path is.But in Acad 10 i dunno where it goes unlike 09 it just goes in Documents settings\all users\etc..

Why would you need to back-up your license? If you are on a subscription, that information should on one part be in paper-format and one part on Autodesks server-side. If I'm missing something, please informe me, but I can't see where you would need to create a copy of your license?

Per AutoDesk re: Portable License Utility.

"The Portable License Utility (PLU) is a utility that enables you to check out a license from one stand-alone software-locked Autodesk product and use that license on another computer that has the same Autodesk product (and installation type) installed.

A common misconception about the PLU is that it can be used to check out a license from a network-licensed Autodesk product for use on another computer. Licenses for network-licensed products are managed by the Autodesk® Network License Manager (FLEXlm). These network licenses cannot be accessed by the PLU. The PLU works only with standalone software-locked products that use Autodesk Product Activation technology."

We have so many computer hir S`Tiger,actually were a learning institute it saves time for me I mean to us, if we can back it up we can escape from delay waiting for 2 or 3hours for the Autodesk to response our request code.Normally if the unit needs to reformat because of certain reasons like viruses, Os problem etc,I can manage time and because I already have the liscense we dont need to worry and the unit are ready on the go.

recently were using Acad 2009,now were using Acad 2010 is there anyway to backup its license?coz in Acad 09 I can back it up then reformat ,then paste the liscense file again and its work fine again together it period time.tnx in advance

veinsilk. . .Do you use Windows Vista? I can't find my Acad 2009 license file. I've got to reformat and agree that I'd save a LOT of time just being able to move on instead of waiting for the new AUTH codes.

We have so many computer hir S`Tiger,actually were a learning institute it saves time for me I mean to us, if we can back it up we can escape from delay waiting for 2 or 3hours for the Autodesk to response our request code.

What difference does it make if it takes 2 or 3 hours? The software will run fine for 30 days without an activation code. I'm not sure about your licensing type, but we have MSSA licensing, and the activation codes are received instantly online with no wait.

If you still want to try it, the LTU (License Transfer Utility) may work for what you want to do in 2010, but I have not tried it.

Sir im not talking for the 30 days trial pls read my post.And about our liscensing we still wait for the activation code, were not online liscense like what you say.The only thing hir I just want to know is where the liscense file store do you get?just like acad 2009 and 2008.Im still waiting,somebody might know more about this.

Sir im not talking for the 30 days trial pls read my post.
I did read it, and again, I don't see any reason to "backup" a license. Autodesk knows you have a license when you purchase and activate the software. (I know it's not a TRIAL, nobody mentioned a trial...)

And about our liscensing we still wait for the activation code, were not online liscense like what you say.The only thing hir I just want to know is where the liscense file store do you get?just like acad 2009 and 2008.Im still waiting,somebody might know more about this.

You can use the License Transfer Utility if you need to "store" an activated license during a move to a new machine, but there is really no need. AutoCAD will run for 30 days without activation while you wait to receive the new activation code, assuming you can't get immediate online activation.

You dont understand me Sir, theres always a REASON, what if your net server is down?etc. and the unit were current activated then accidentaly it goes wrong for some reason.If you know how to back up the liscense theres no need to worry.I appreciate your time for this,but stil you dont get my point and my real question.

You dont understand me
No, I guess I don't.
Sir, theres always a REASON, what if your net server is down?etc. and the unit were current activated then accidentaly it goes wrong for some reason.
Are you talking about a network licensed version of AutoCAD? And are you talking about backing up the Network License Manger license on the server? If so, you can't really "back up" the license because the license is tied to the LM server. I suppose if you had a cloned server with the same hardware and MAC address on the NIC, you could create a backup LM that you could use in the event that the primary LM dies.

But if you are talking about MSSA or single standalone licenses, then I repeat- there is NO need to "Back up a license". In the worst case scenario where your computer completely dies and you have to reinstall AutoCAD from scratch - you simply request a new activation code and move on... If it takes 29 days to get it, it doesn't matter because AutoCAD will run fine without it for that period of time....

We have 60+ seats and we re-provision machines all the time, and we have never had to "back up" a license...

You dont understand me Sir, All I want to know where the liscense of 2010 goes?and thats my bottom line.

Ok, we still don't know if you have a single license, MSSA, or network license. Assuming the first --- There is no "license" - it doesn't "go" anywhere. You install AutoCAD, and then activate it. If you do not activate it, it runs for 30 days.

If you need to "move" the activation code to another machine, you use the License Transfer Utility -or- you simply install on the next machine and get a NEW activation code.

I guess I should add a disclaimer: The above applies to US licensed seats. In other countries, there may be differences. Have you called your reseller? They can explain all of this as it pertains to your EULA.

You dont understand me Sir, All I want to know where the liscense of 2010 goes?and thats my bottom line.

I hate to be this blunt, but are you trying to illegally obtain this info? I mean, after reading all your posts, McSwain is absolutely correct. Hell, with my version of 2009 I've reformatted and upgraded my workstation at work so many times when I reinstall it says I have installed the license too many times and to contact AutoDesk to evaluate it. Every time - it works. They still send an authorization code, and within 24 hours.

What's so hard about trusting what we've been telling you?

Sir what's illegal in asking such question?and about what you use, like Acad 2009 im not asking for that.Im just asking for 2010 and im not dumb to dont understand what you say

I know authorization will send within 24 hours.And all what im asking is 2010 thats all.Tnx S`Mcswain for time.

I would point out the question was originally posted on August 11th. Here we are a month later. I would assume you received your license authorization by now as it has been 30 days. What is the current status of the situation?

When you have gone searching for this license I'm assuming it has a file extension of .lic is that correct? Have you deselected Hide file extensions for known file types prior to conducting the search?

Sir what's illegal in asking such question?

Nothing is illegal about asking, but McSwain has answered your question and you still seem to want to backup a license when there is absolutely no need. Well, if you are in fact running legit software, that is. :wink: