Problem with SCATTER

KeithXP

I am trying to use the scatter compond object to place 200 trees on a mesh object created with subdivide.

The tree is a cutout image applied on two intersecting planes, made into one object using 'Connect'. I have ensured that the pivot point is at the base of the trunk (ie midpoint of bottom edge of planes). Yet when I create the scatter object, all the trees are placed half in the ground. I cannot get them to stand on the surface.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Thanks for the link. It seems I am following the correct procedure. If I use the AEC Foliage object "Society Garlic" with my Distribution Object, instead of the cutout tree I want to use, then the scatter object is created perfectly. All the garlic plants are sitting on the surface.

If I switch to my tree again, they are all inserted with the mid-point of the planes at the surface of the distribution object. I suppose there must be something wrong with the tree object. But the pivot point is definitely at the bottom (although when first created, the planes have a central pivot point which I moved).

I am pretty new to 3DS so am probably making some very elementary mistake.

Try making the tree again.

Create one plane, convert to editable poly, move the pivot point to the bottom then apply your tree image. Then make a copy of that plane, rotate 90 deg. and move it into position. Now use "Attach" to combine both planes into one object. Double check your pivot point and then try using "Scatter" again.

OK, I followed your instructions carefully - the only difference being the conversion of the plane to a poly and attaching the two, whereas I had used connect to join the two planes together.

Unfortunately I get the same issue! I have uploaded my MAX scene with just the two operands (no texture for tree as it exceeds the upload file size limit). I am using MAX Design 2010, I hope you can open the file.

It would be great if you could have a look. As garden designers, I am definitely going to need to master this technique!

Thank you very much for your time & help.

scatter.zip

Ok, it took me a few minutes to figure out what was happening, but it's actually a very simple fix. Just select your tree object, go to the "Utilities" panel, select "Reset XForm" and then click "Reset Selected". Then right click and Convert to Editable Poly. Now when you use the "Scatter" modifier it should work as expected.

That worked perfectly. I'll now read up and find out what the XForm modifier is and why I need to use it!

Thanks again for your help.

Ok, it took me a few minutes to figure out what was happening, but it's actually a very simple fix. Just select your tree object, go to the "Utilities" panel, select "Reset XForm" and then click "Reset Selected". Then right click and Convert to Editable Poly. Now when you use the "Scatter" modifier it should work as expected.

haha.. when you say it took you a few minutes you make it sound as if thats a long time to figure it out. i dont have a dang clue what scatter even is let alone everything else you just said :lol: