Newbie comment & question.

Redman

Maybe this is more general discussion.....

COMMENT:

As a newbie who (posted first question the other day) who is also

on a couple other hobby related forumns (where I can actaully contribute and answer questions):

I want to comment on the activity level here, and the helpfullness of folks. Is great.

I was looking for a posting/question that I could answer - maybe - okay, any posting that I can even make a comment on -- had to go back about 5 pages, before I could find one, and this is the beggineers forumn, and had already been answered, and what I was gonna say was not quite correct.

QUESTION:

I am not understanding the significance of the fish on the CADTutor banner header.

CAD ..... samon...?

AutoDesk .... big fish .... ?

CAD drafting ... swimming upstream....?

(I did a search on "fish" and didnt find anything.)

I spent a few weeks here before i found a question i could answer, by the time i typed my answer up and hit submit someone had beaten me to it, i believe it was remark it usually is. As you spend more time here you will find questions you can answer and even questions that have been answered but you know another way or possibly a faster way or even a better way to complete the task, dont be afraid to add another solution to a thread that seems to be answered. Maybe that worked for them but in a month when another person digs up that thread with the same problem your answer might be better for them. In autocad there are many ways to do one thing, just think about how many different ways you can draw a line. Now they might not all be easy they might go the long way around to get there but in the end they all produce a line. the more solutions to a problem in a thread the more likely someone will find one they like and that works for them. Hope you enjoy the forum and stick around

You have inadvertently stumbled upon a secret society of fishermen/fisherwomen. We just reeled you in! LOL

The truth, the whole truth and noting but the truth is here:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11519

Okay.... Trout. ... related to admin/developers personall hobby.

I thought maybe it was related to the scale function in CAD.

Hope you enjoy the forum and stick around

I intend to.

But I am suppose to be doing some work around here. I see someone else mentioned "technical advancement" as an excuse --- ah --- er --- explanation for spending time on here.

Will see if the company owner gets as annoyed as my wife does when I spend a lot of time on my hobby forumn site (classic Suzuki mo'cycles).

oh, oh, should continue this in the "introduce yourself" section.

I got lucky on that one, my boss is perfectly fine with me spending time on here if i dont have work to do. This has also made it so when anyone has an autocad problem here or in our other office in another state, they come to me to get it fixed. and if i dont know the answer they say ask your buddies on cad tutor, Ive tried convincing them to get on here and learn something but they prefer for me to do it for them.

I agree wholeheartedly with what she ^ ^ ^ said. :)

And thanks for your help on my posting.

One more thing, dont be afraid to check out the non beginner forums you may find out you know more then you think you do.

And thanks for your help on my posting.

Maybe this is more general discussion.....

QUESTION:

I am not understanding the significance of the fish on the CADTutor banner header.

CAD ..... samon...?

AutoDesk .... big fish .... ?

CAD drafting ... swimming upstream....?

(I did a search on "fish" and didnt find anything.)

Well I did read (some of) the link providing the explanation of the fish. Before I did though, the thought that occured to me was how I've viewed the philosophy of this forum based on the old saw "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Will see if the company owner gets as annoyed as my wife does when I spend a lot of time on my hobby forumn site (classic Suzuki mo'cycles).

mo'cycles you say.... :P :P

You'll fit right in:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31788

Also, don't forget to drop by on the best forum this site has to offer... o:)

Lee

Well I did read (some of) the link providing the explanation of the fish. Before I did though, the thought that occured to me was how I've viewed the philosophy of this forum based on the old saw "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Very apt. Or to paraphrase, "give a man (or woman) a LISP routine and you make him efficient for a project; teach a man to write LISP routines and you make him efficient for a lifetime." :D

Very apt. Or to paraphrase, "give a man (or woman) a LISP routine and you make him efficient for a project; teach a man to write LISP routines and you make him efficient for a lifetime." :D

Very true :)