AutoCAD/ Turbo Cad etc

shox

Hey Guys

As a complete newbie to the CAD scene ( i start my part

time college next week ) i just want to ask

what the difference is between differnet CAD programmes?

I assume i will be learning on AutoCAD, do colleges usually

train students on the latest versions?

I keep seeing Turbocad being mentioned on CAD sites, is this similar

to AutoCAD?

Many thanks

Angus

Students typically work with the latest versions of AutoCAD.

TurboCAD is indeed a program used to create drawings but, the universal CAD program is AutoCAD. Period. Most engineering firms communicate using AutoDesk's AutoCAD.

Post next week. Bet you're going to use AudoDesk programs.

Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the CADTutor forum shox.

To compare different CAD programs I would suggest looking at and comparing the "features" of each. This information should be available at the software manufacturer's website.

Most colleges should be completely up-to-date with the software they use to teach AutoCAD. AutoDesk has a special arrangement with educational institutions. At the very least, I would not expect a reputable college to be no more than one year behind the latest release.

the communtiy college i took my cad course at had 2005, i took it in 2008, but in Ca they have done alot of budget cuts to education, my chem teacher can only make 750 copies throughout the semester he used a third of that during the first week. has to save the rest for exams

I am self taught in AutoCad, however, I tend to be loyal to certain software applications even though their may be a better alternative. I started with cheaper and even free software but after working with AutoCad they just did not measure up.

I have tried several versions of TurboCad over the years and although It's not a bad program, it just wasn't AutoCad.

Even for 3D I was stubborn and stuck with Vanilla AutoCad, (which I still do). Solidworks was OK but felt cartoonish to me, (go figure). I tried Inventor, and low and behold, there was a program that could do all the things I could not in AutoCad for 3D and it felt right. Not surprising that it was from AutoDesk as well.

If your college is offering AutoCad over 2008 you should be just fine. If they offer TurboCad go somewhere else. You also can't go wrong learning either Inventor or SolidWorks.

KC

Back a few years ago, got a box of Turbocad off the table at local computer place. About $29.95 it was marked (marked down too).

Loaded up fine, and then.....

Found out it does not support a plottter in any fashion other than some small deskjet type. Per their sales staff, that is what the majority of customers want. I can get a driver for a full sized plotter at about $149.99 but is untested and may or may not work. No refunds. I also ahve to alter some part of the software that will enable me to work on large drawings.

Will it take digitizer language then? NO. But they had heard that some enterprizing firms figured out a way to connect in.

Can I use coordinates that run up into the millions? Yes, but you need to convert over to actual coordinates that fit upon the page better.

Does it understand XREF's Yes.

Does it understand Paperspace? Well, yes and no. Depends.

Wm.

Back a few years ago, got a box of Turbocad off the table at local computer place.

How many years ago was this? :unsure:

I just tested out the latest trial version a few months ago and I was pretty impressed. It seemed like a really good, low cost alternative to Autocad. And much better than Autocad LT.

Years ago went from the board to DesignCAD. Worked for what I wanted to do and it was cheapo!

Switched to AutoCAD 2000, upgraded to '05 then '07. Would never go back.

Most firms I deal with want *.dwg AutoCAD files.

There are lots of cad programs out there. (At different workplaces I have used- CIS Mesusa, HP's ME10, and now using Autocad).

At my last workplace we used to use networked ME10 (with one Autocad R12 machine).

Being the administrator at the time I was tasked with checking out if we should upgrade ME10 or switch to a new system.

After a lot of looking on the web I recommended at that we get Solidworks; the company eventually did that but I had left by that time.

Nowadays unless you have special, specific draughting needs I would only recommend AUTOCAD - it is the industry standard and every other decent CAD program is now written to open and save in Autocad .dwg format.

There are lots of cad programs out there. (At different workplaces I have used- CIS Mesusa, HP's ME10, and now using Autocad).

At my last workplace we used to use networked ME10 (with one Autocad R12 machine).

Being the administrator at the time I was tasked with checking out if we should upgrade ME10 or switch to a new system.

After a lot of looking on the web I recommended at that we get Solidworks; the company eventually did that but I had left by that time.

Nowadays unless you have special, specific draughting needs I would only recommend AUTOCAD - it is the industry standard and every other decent CAD program is now written to open and save in Autocad .dwg format.

Awwww.... that is the Chicken way about it.

Keep going.

What do you think of CheapCad, or whatever is on sale off the bargain table

or at some local swap meet? Most times I find they only work on older machine OS's, and specify some oddball hardware (printer or mouse) that works (only).

Wm.